• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Drillgine

Wynneman

Registered
Yeah I got that much figured out just trying to get an exact date and what it’s worth I’m not selling it I’m just curious

K-Tron

Registered
I am going to disagree with Brian's response. There is an Ohlsson & Rice section on the 'my old machine' forum. There are two guys on there who can date your O&R. My Drillgine is a 1976 and mine has a much lower serial number than yours. I would not doubt if yours was built in 1980+- a couple of years. They are fun to use. I upgraded the carburetor in mine to the later style with the stainless steel inlet needle. The original inlet needle was rubber and it did not hold up well. A long time back there was a dedicated Ohlsson & Rice forum and I bought genuine parts from a guy on there who owned the rights to the company and a lot of the old stock parts after the company closed its doors.

Chris

Wynneman

Registered
I know for sure it’s from 1960-1967 I found that much out about the serial number I’m pretty sure it’s from 1965 but not positive

K-Tron

Registered
Im sorry, you and Brian are correct, mine has one more digit in the serial number than yours does. I thought something was odd there as mine has the later style recoil and yours has the 60s style recoil.

Chris

Wynneman

Registered
Yeah I’m pretty sure mine is from 1965 I just got it given to me. It runs too but still needs work could run better. I think they are pretty neat. They were Originally made to drill for syrup in maple trees. Any idea what they are worth?

K-Tron

Registered
I do not think they were purpose built for maple syrup work. From what I have seen they were advertised as one of the first portable go anywhere utility drills geared toward homeowners and contractors. I have a G.H. Grimm sugar drill from just after WWII and it is quite different from the drillgine. It is on a backpack which allowed the operator to walk with it right through the woods. King also made a maple sugar drill, although there product had a flexible shaft to transmit power from the engine. The drillgine is just like your modern battery drill, just engine driven instead of electric, and LOUD. I tend to over-value whatever I work on, but I wouldnt sell mine for 350. I have a mint condition tool box with mine. I would think a good running clean drillgine with good paint has to be worth at least 200. There was another Ohlsson & Rice drill called the mini-mota. It has three different output shaft speeds. They are really quite hard to find. I have only ever seen one.

Chris

Wynneman

Registered
I do not think they were purpose built for maple syrup work. From what I have seen they were advertised as one of the first portable go anywhere utility drills geared toward homeowners and contractors. I have a G.H. Grimm sugar drill from just after WWII and it is quite different from the drillgine. It is on a backpack which allowed the operator to walk with it right through the woods. King also made a maple sugar drill, although there product had a flexible shaft to transmit power from the engine. The drillgine is just like your modern battery drill, just engine driven instead of electric, and LOUD. I tend to over-value whatever I work on, but I wouldnt sell mine for 350. I have a mint condition tool box with mine. I would think a good running clean drillgine with good paint has to be worth at least 200. There was another Ohlsson & Rice drill called the mini-mota. It has three different output shaft speeds. They are really quite hard to find. I have only ever seen one.

Chris
It’s just what I read from an online antique tool read that the original purpose was for drilling into maple trees idk

Wynneman

Registered

Chris
Where could I get a carb kit for it?