• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Drug another one out of the woods :)

M

MBusch

I can see how you retrieved the engine. But how did it get there originally. Haul it in pieces and put it together or complete with horse’s, Was there a road nearby. They must have been ingenious people with out our modern equipment to get the job done.
Myron in Minnesota

S

Sky

GEEEZ! were do you guy's find these things!?
I swear i could spend a year in the woods and not find a engine :crazy:
let alone, a BOLT! :crazy:
kinda jelous now cuz i wish i had me one that i just found out of the woods. :p :D

oh well........maybee one day..........i hope....

C

Chris Curtis

I saw an old picture once of a team of horses pulling a complete engine across a field. They unhooked the connecting rod from the crank, pushed the piston all the way forward and were actually rolling the engine on the flywheels. Don't know if that was the usual practice but it worked. As far as getting it into the woods, that was not a problem because back when they put that engine there it was probably a cleared field. The woods came along in the next 75 years or so.

Tom Winland

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/22/2019
I doubt that where I get alot of my engines were ever fields just because of the hills and such. I figure they used horses and block and tackle to get them where they needed. I've had to use dozers to get alot of them out. :( I've also rolled several on their flywheels but you have to be careful not to hit a soft spot and one flywheel sink in and upset the engine :(

Tom Winland
Ohio

R

RBackus

I'm with Skylar, I don't know how you find 'em, Tom. Great engine, from the photos it looks very complete. Any history on it?

Richard Backus

S

Sky

What do you do to find these engines?
do you do a little research on the land and learn the history of it? like find if there was any well's or generators around way back then, then get a map and a compass to find them or what?
something like a treasure hunt? :confused:
or do you just start walking around in the woods till you find something? :confused:
like i say, with my luck, i could spend a year in the woods and not even find a bolt! :crazy:

Jebaroni

Registered
I hear ya skylar. Engines around here are like hens teeth or they're already in someone else's collection and you have to buy them at shows or travel 700 miles to the big swap meets. I too have often wondered exactly how people seem to repeatedly stumble across engines in the woods and how one goes about purchasing them from an owner that may no longer be around?

Tom Winland

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/22/2019
Don't worry guys, I have left some out there, mostly because they were in too bad of shape and not worth getting or in too bad a place to get out.

I have found them several ways,

- by driving the back roads and looking for them in the bushes, which most of those that can be seen from the road have already been had.
- by using plot maps like you say and looking where the old wells were and figuring about where an engine should of been, which doesn't work well either
-or the best way is talking to alot of people like hunters, oil field guys, old timers that used them

Tom Winland
Ohio