• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Duro engine powered cultivator

Andrew Sine

Registered
I just got this Duro powered cultivator. Has anybody seen one like it? I'd like to know where/when/who built it. Its a well designed and constructed, shop-built machine - definitely not homemade. Note how the flywheel fins were carefully notched to clear the fenders. A hammer mechanic would have just added a board under the engine! Thanks for any info

Attachments

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
I don't think it's a production unit. I've never seen any info on it. You have to remember, in those days there were true craftsmen that built some of this stuff. They weren't just hammer mechanics.

ulgydog56

Registered
don't no but age wise looks like late 20s or 1930s just the way it constructed and bolts and steel wheels...nice find...:bonk:

Last edited:

Andrew Sine

Registered
Doug, I know what your saying- I've seen some impressive one-off craftsman builds of mechanical things from that time period. But in this case I see a level of commitment to design, detail, layout and manufacturing that says shop built to me. The chain guard and fenders, the mud scrapers behind the wheels; the wheel construction and hub caps, the ratchets and gear inside the hubs, the few dedicated castings, all indicate to me a thoroughly designed machine built for sale at some level of output. Probably not many built, and fizzled out pretty quickly! I guess I may never know.

Attachments

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
I have to agree with Doug. I see some parts that are welded/fabercated on tool bar. Seem early for that. Tractor looks questionably and we'll done though. Neat find either way. Up