• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Early Bartram AK photos wanted

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
Does anyone have photos of the first series AK Bartram, please? As seen in the illustration below, the cylinder head is non-detachable. Someone posted some cylinder photos on a forum, which I saved, but not the complete engine. I have not ever seen one.

Eric

Attachments

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hi Eric, will take some pictures of one in the next day or two, accidentally deleted the pics I had taken previously!

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Was out today and went for a look at this one and managed a few pictures, quite different when compared against the later design?

Attachments

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
Thanks very much for the photos. By what I can see, the differences are all in the cylinder, the crankcase looks the same. Flange mounted carby and exhaust are different. Unfortunately this engine can't be dated by the serial number, because, in their wisdom, K&L only started dating their engine tests after building about 80 engines. They had no foresight at all!

Would it be safe to say that engine was originally a screen cooled portable? The clue being the centrifugal pump drive pulley on the camshaft.

Eric

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hi Eric, to my understanding the pump drive pulley is a duplicate that replaces the original that was broken so it could have been a portable? also the crankshaft driven open governor is quite different compared with the half speed cam driven governor of the later engines and crankcase modification that accommodated it? other than that more or less the same crankcase.

Attachments

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
We might both be right about the governor. What I thinking is that the first of the detachable head engines still used the crankshaft governor. I'm playing armchair detective here, not having any AK's in stock to compare.

Eric

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hi Eric, it could well be that there are other transitional AK engines out there or in the past that remain unknown, at least for now? also there is another K&L engine here locally that is very early and a build type quite different than anything I have seen? will get some pics of it at the next opportunity.

tim2010

Registered
Hi Eric,
In regards to differences I assume that when the governor changed the crankshaft also changed to the tapered design.
Later an adjustable magneto bracket was added and the belt driven water pump was changed to an eccentric driven piston pump.
There are other small differences to the breather, crankcase cover, bearing oil caps, transporter etc
Tim