• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Early GP John deere

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/06/2020
I am looking at buying a very early John Deere GP. I have been looking for information online with very little results so I’m asking here. Sorry no pictures at this time. This tractor is very rough and this asking price is $2000. Front cutoffs rear steel, no fenders, Engine stuck, has pto/lift gearbox. Serial number is 200494. But it has what appears to be a model C head with the spark plugs pointing up. In my opinion this tractor is only worth 800-1000. Does this cylinder head and early number add much value? Thanks for any input.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Does this tractor have a wooden steering wheel and how is the seat mounted? that should also tell you if your looking at a C or a GP.The C version was very early 1928 and was a experimental/production tractor

Last edited:

mmcdonald

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2017
I am no expert but with that serial number it is not a "C" according to my info. Some of it is conflicting(several references) but I don't show any "C" serial number past 200111 or 200202 depending on what reference I look at so the "494" would just make it an early GP I think. Unless there is something special about it I agree price is twice going rate at least. If it was in good shape running then it might be a good deal but it doesn't sound like a good deal to me. That's my 1 cent.

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/06/2020
No it doesn’t have any other C features other than the head which I don’t think adds $1000 to the value

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
I have always wanted a GP for some reason, on steel and any year. Havent run across a cheap one yet and
I have been collecting since 1983. ;)
Seems like the price of the steel wheels can be plenty on their own, same with good parts. Ustabe a good
salesman would never take no for an answer...……...unless he is selling a GP.:LOL:

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/06/2020
Any GP experts here that can help me with this tractor??? I know not having pictures is hard but all I want to know is does the early serial number and "C" cylinder head add that much value to basically a parts tractor? I plan to go look at it tomorrow and would like to make him a fair offer. Thanks

ajs2744TC

Registered
Turbo, I would not say it is a good deal, but its a fair deal if you want one bad. Seen much worse if its the GP I've seen advertised. You may find a jd nut that would trade C head for proper GP head and even couple little parts. Most need new fenders anyways. Just make sure rear drop housing isn't busted to h*ll. A crack repair was typical. Front steel go high but many run as steel and rubber combo. My 2 cents...

B.C. Cushing

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/13/2020
when JD GP values were high, the head was worth an easy $1,000. If it has the air cleaner mounted between the head and the radiator, add $350. If the finals are the triangle ones and not the egg shaped ones and the dates are 1928 on the castings, this helps as the early finals were usually shot. Does it have the JD mag? If yes, core is worth $750. if rebuildable. If the fuel tank is good, adds to value. Cur offs delete a fair amount. Are the fronts correct, if good adds $400 and so on. PTO and lift adds $300. Plateform OK? Hood, etc. All adds upif you need to buy them on the open market if you can find them. Does the engine casting date correspond to 1928 build date, condition of the tag? I have 200250, mine is a GP, the C's were as listed earlier prior to 200111 unless this is a reworked C by the factory, they have a different steering pedastal and seat from memory. So is it worth it, maybe. They are fun to build, many of the GP parts are specific to the year and not all interchangable. The smal bore GP's however are more common than the big bore so parts should be findable. Sounds like $1,500 is a more fair number.

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/06/2020
Thank you very much everybody. Yes, Ajs this is the one advertised on CL. With all the great input I think a fair value would be 1000-1200. Have a great 4th guys, I cannot thank you enough! Travis

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/06/2020
Well, I will follow up. I did not buy the tractor. It did get sold so hopefully it gets the restoration it deserves. Thanks again everyone for the input.