• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

early Holtzer-Cabot "tombstone" AC electric motor

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Recently purchased this early H-C electric motor, sometimes referred to as the 'tombstone' model. The same motor was offered either as a fan or utility motor. Since this is an AC motor, was wondering if H-C had any patent infringement disputes with Westinghouse/Tesla? Haven't tried to run it yet and was going to try 50V with a Variac. Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wow, that's a neat one. Is that a series motor or repulsion motor? If the latter, and since it is designed for 133 cycles, I would drop the voltage by the ratio of 60/133. So maybe 20 ~ 25 volts. Start there and see how it does. I'd have an ammeter in the circuit too.

Keith

Steve Dawkins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/04/2016
That is one awesome specimen of a motor. Nice find! Never seen 133 Hertz. (or cycles, as it was referred to at the time.)

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Thanks. I'm told it is an 'induction-repulsion' motor. So no conflict with Tesla and Westinghouse?

Radiomike

Registered
As it is 133Hz you should reduce the voltage. The impedance is proportional to frequency, at 133 it will be a little over twice that at 60Hz.

Mike

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Brent I had one like it a long time ago , but sold it. Could be the same one , don't know. Did this one come from Texas? Ron

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018
Are you sure it,s 133 and not L 33. When I was a kid we had 25 cycle. Just a thought . Bill H.

georgineer

Registered
Just a thought to kick about, and probably not relevant, but 133 is one third of 400 (ignoring decimal fractions), which is used in some applications.

George

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Anyone have further thoughts on running the motor or why it didn't violate Tesla's (Westhinghouse) AC motor patents?