• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Early Ornate 1800’s Drill Press Search

George Kulisiewicz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I posted a similar thread on Practical Machinist forum and while very helpful no one was able to head me in the right direction so I will try it here. I am in search of an early ornate drill press for my lineshaft museum. Post beam drills do not count and camel back drills however old are still newer then what I am searching for although some real early drills resemble them. I have attached a few pictures for examples... if anyone knows of an early example and would like to share that would be great or better yet knows of one for sale then great! Even old prints or advertisements showing early drills would be nice to see also. Thanks

Attachments

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Re: Early Ornate 1800’s Drill press search

May have to break down and Cast Your Own. . .

Pretty Basic Machines other than the Ornate Castings with Fluted Columns to add a little Style to them.

:salute:

Scott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/07/2014

Lots of info here:

vintagemachinery.org

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Scott beat me to suggestion. Might also checkout Dave Richards old steam powered machine shop youtube channel. He has a similar belt powered post drill.
Doc

George Kulisiewicz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and input... and thank you Jim for the pictures of the drills on Craigslist , they are both old but not old enough. Otto I have thought about making some patterns and casting up and machining some parts and making my own drill but I would still like to find an original as I feel it would tell a better story but building one is an option I have considered. I have an old twin cylinder cushman engine that I purchased a few years ago and was going to build a mini prairie tractor with... to many irons in the fire so it sits collecting dust... the first person that finds me a lead on a truly old drill press like the kind I am searching for that I can seal a deal on and I will give them that engine as a finders fee... I know it’s just a Cushman but free is free :shrug: