• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Easy For You To Say 1950 On 1989 Dodge

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Cleaning up and starting another project. 1950 Dodge 3/4 ton LWB pickup sheetmetal on a 1989 Dodge full size chassis.
Lengths are good widths are not. I’ll deal with it.
This is about my sixth conversion. Maybe more.
The newer Dodge is as close to unregisterable as you can get. Thus, I’m on it! Great donor! Maybe..
Should make a wonderful trailer-Towing vehicle.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I did some research on this frame swap and found that a Dodge Dakota donor (again) is much better suited, size-wise. However, I don’t own a Dodge Dakota and pretty much despise them from an emissions standpoint (I do smog check for a living). Additionally, most Dakotas did NOT come with a V-8/manual trans.
The way folks talk about Dodge Dakotas on line you’d think they were in everyone’s garage. They are actually on the rare side. A LOT more GM S-10/S-15, Ford Rangers or Japanese pickups were sold than Dodge Dakotas.
Since I want to tow with the 1950 Dodge LWB I’ll stick with my full-size Dodge chassis donor and deal with the extra width.
Some of the comments I read on-line about frame swaps are hysterically funny.
If you are really looking for something as agile as a newer pickup to keep up with modern traffic you can’t expect a 70-year-old chassis to suffice, even after a modern drivetrain conversion.
You need modern sway bars, disc brakes, IFS, dual-circuit and ABS brakes, anti-dive geometry, reasonable tire-scuff, wonderful shock absorbers and lots and lots of rubber isolation to the cab. All of the above has to be designed to work together.
With one modern chassis and drivetrain donor it’s also a lot easier to find parts on a Sunday afternoon.
Unless you design and make your own chassis professionally, you are “stuck” with what a manufacturer offered. In my case, Dodge.
I do not propose frame donors on all old trucks, just those that are to be driven often on crowded streets.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Doing my usual front-to-back sheetmetal tear-down. I save everything and label wires and take pictures.
Thank goodness for a dry climate (OK, it’s too dry). Fasteners come right off and there’s no rust.
I already know that the 1989 Dodge track will be a good 10” too wide for the 1950 Dodge Pickup. I found some pictures online of bigger 1950 Dodge trucks with fender extensions. I think I’ll be fine, one way or the other.
It’ll probably take me two weekends to disassemble.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I got doors off 1989 cab. Removed steering column, clutch and brake masters, e brake cable, throttle cable, firewall wiring connector.
I found melted, cut and modified wiring under the dash. That’s not good!
I’ll have to deal with that, later.

Attachments