Ebay Auctions with Private Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff R Parks

Subscriber
Just interested whether the antique engine people prefer to see their fellow bidders id or like the private listing feature to remain unkown. What's your thoughts???

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Jeff R Parks said:
Just interested whether the antique engine people prefer to see their fellow bidders id or like the private listing feature to remain unkown. What's your thoughts???
Personally I'd not bid where the ID's are not available. Being able to check on the seller's and bidder's previous activity is a part of ebay which I do approve of, and many are the times when I have found instances (and reported them) of unusual activity such as shill bidding.

If they have something to hide, don't bid.

Peter

Kevin Woodruff

I agree with Peter,
I never bid or sell with the privit id. Fead back is a valuable check and balance. I would worry about what thay may be hiding. Just my 2c

Peter

I also walk away from any auctions involving private bidders. Another consideration is that there is a significant problem on ebay with reproductions, reprints, shabby descriptions and tricky photos. Anyone notice that one of our fellow stakers, is selling BYB's with bidders id hidden. He does not want any one to tip the buyers, these book can be purchased for 50 bucks. This is a very typical motive to hide the bidders id. Its is generally not to protect the bidders, but prevent them from getting clued in on the reality of the item they are making a big mistake on. Like hey man: you can go buy that all Wal_mart for 5 bucks! I have been so informed a couple of times, and boy-o-boy did I appreciate the information.

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
I have recently started selling my items with private listings. Let’s think about this intelligently. There are both Pros and Cons of this. Here’s some that I can think of from the buyer and sellers point of view.

Pros
1. Often times when an item reaches a certain price another individual will email that bidder or backup bidders with offers to sell an identical item for less. This hurts the bidding on that auction. Some people have the nerve to cancel their bids if they find an item cheaper.
2. Many people in the engine hobby know each other and each other’s ebay names so they sometimes will not bid against one another because they do not want to create hard feelings. Why should the seller suffer? This happens at live auctions all the time and it’s all fun and good until it’s your stuff getting sold.
3. Scammers often email the backup bidders with false second chance offers, this cannot happen with a private auction.
4. You can identify bidders that you share common interests with you and search what they are bidding to save the work of finding the listing yourself, this cannot happen with a private listing
5. Many people do not want the whole world to know their business and appreciate the ability to bid without having their ebay name appear.
Cons
1. It does create a concern for shill bidding. I wish there was an option that would show the bid history with names after the auction, but as I stated before many bidders prefer to remain private. I guess I would check the seller’s feedback and check completed sales to see if many items were re-listed. The best way to look for shill bidding is canceled bids. I would email the seller with some questions if I ever see a canceled bid in the bid history.
2. Some people may not bid because they think the seller is hiding something
3. For everyone that wants to take advantage of another sellers listing, they cannot.

I guess in my opinion the Pros out weigh the Cons from the seller’s point of view. I may change back to regular listings but so far private listings seem to work ok. I’ll be interested in what everyone’s (with exception of a few) opinions are.

Gary Bahre

Subscriber
Jon: As one of the winners of part from one of your auctions I had no problem with the bidders being kept private. With the prices that most needed parts are going for sometimes it works both ways. The only thing that happend to me on this auction my daughter went a little higher than I would have. The part I ended up with was the 36 tooth gear, it arrived yesterday is just like you discribed. Yes it was the last part I needed to finnish a engine I bought this past spring. Even though I buy very little off of ebay if you need somthing that can't be found close to home, or after a summer of swap meet shopping, you just bid what you think it's worth to you.

Kevin Woodruff

I do agree with Jon on the pros, but being both a bidder and a seller with a pos. rating of over 400 the first thing I look at is the peoples feedback. That is the point of feed back ratings. To know what kind of a person you are dealing with. And that is why you have a ebay name other than your personal name. So you are relatively unknown, but people can see wether or not you are a stand up person by your rating. I also set my settings when I am selling to block people with high negitve ratings. I have been bitten to many times both selling and buying. I can see private auctions on items that are very valuble. Say a car or a rare engine. It just boils down to what you think is best for you. There are lots of great people like Jon and dare I say my self (ha ha) on ebay, but there are also a lot of crooks. One has to be careful. Merry Christmas to all!

BDMelon

ok, let me see if i got this right, private bidding, no one can see who's bidding or what their record is like, So whats to stop someone just bidding it up, just to help the guy sell it, can this be done? :confused: just curious ,I would like to know? Because i am thinking of doing some stuff on e-bay buying (starting up), & if this can be done, i would possilbe reframe from private bidding, not just because someone didn't like what jon's doing, but in general,if anyone does bidding like this, but if not whats the big deal then about it! geez :rolleyes:

:confused: MELON

Neale Behm

The buyer has to beware regardless of where he's shopping. I have to agree that "Private" bidding waves a red flag for me right away.

Thanks Harry

CWC

Peter said:
.... Anyone notice that one of our fellow stakers, is selling BYB's with bidders id hidden....
I am also leary of private auctions and stay away from them. Since the BYB on ebay was mentioned I got curious and did a search for them and found two for sale. Both private auctions, both in Ohio, identical descriptions, but two different seller I.D.s. Coincidence? Probably, but it sure leaves things open to suspicion if your on the buying end.

Andrew Albrecht

I decided that if you can't beat them join them. So i started selling the BYB on ebay for less the half of the going price. Mr Wendel will be getting the profits minus only my ebay fees. Now he gets additional funds for his new book, I make 20 or so people happy they don't have to pay the outragous 149.95. And look at all the positive feedback i get. Thats what i can a Win,Win,Win situation.

Peter

Did you say a new BYB, excellent! Is chuck looking for matterial, a lot of us have engines or ads for engines that could be included in a 2nd revision.

engine nut

Ralph Leonard said:
I am considering Ebay both buying and selling. Lots of Qs, what is "shill" bidding? :confused:
seems like alot of engine collectors are having a hard time getting these new byb:s,,, sometimes the only way to get a book is buy one from ebay.,, when they available the first time. i offered to order a few for other collectors. no one wanted one... so i bought 2 for myself,,, now the other guys want one(five guys),,, now i tell them to call mr wendell. he is in the fone book..get em while you can..

Andrew Albrecht

Peter said:
Did you say a new BYB, excellent! Is chuck looking for matterial, a lot of us have engines or ads for engines that could be included in a 2nd revision.
Yes a new Book. And yes he is looking for new material and photos of things he does not have.

Leonard Keifer

Subscriber
"shill" bidding [as I understand it] is when a friend of the seller or the seller with a second user id (on ebay) or the seller in person (at live auctions) bids an item up to get "real" bidders to raise their bids so the seller can get a higher price for his item. The shill bidder doesn't actually buy the item if he is the winner. I've seen sellers at live auctions do this if there's no provision for a reserve bid, I think some auctioneers call this "buy back" and have a set fee, say $25 or $30, for buy back.

I had this happen to me a few years ago at a live auction. I was bidding on an antique electric mower I kind of wanted, got to my maximum and quit. The next year the same mower was in the same auciton. I saw that the guy bidding against me was the same one who had "won" the bid the previous year so I just quit bidding. The mower never came back again, I guess he either sold it some other way or gave up on getting his price.

I haven't encountered "private bidding" on ebay yet. Does "private" mean that I as a buyer can't look at a seller's feedback? If that's the case I won't be bidding on any private auctions. I like to have a little bit of an idea of how likely I am to receive the item I'm bidding on. If there is too much negative feedback I just skip the auciton.

Bill Decker

Private bidding is when the person or persons bidding on the item is kept private. You can sell who is selling, but not bidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.