• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

ebay buyers beware!

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
I just bought an item for $100.00. The sales tax was $9.15!? Come to find out my shipping was $52.47 and they totaled the price and the shipping than taxed me the WV 6%. Customer service advised me to get in touch with our states tax advisor and ask them. :rant: I can see and understand sales tax, but shipping tax?
More sellers should be using this great site. Its going to be hard, but I going to try and give up Ebastards.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
It could be WV tax laws rather than eBay. In KY the legislature totally reworked our sales tax system. Now you pay sales tax on labor for the mechanic working on your car, you pay it for the neighbors boy mowing your yard and on and on. Still don't pay it on groceries, farm equipment (old engines.....), prescriptions and a few other things thank goodness. So, if WV tax laws say "shipping shall be considered as part of the sale price" you now pay it on shipping as well. If that's the case (and I wouldn't doubt its not), then eBay has no choice.

K-Tron

Registered
Last January, ebay started to enforce sales tax in several states. In June mandatory sales tax was applied to all purchases within NY state. I believe as of now, all but the tax free states have mandatory sales tax for online purchasing. It is a huge hit for collectors and folks looking for impossible to find parts. The 8 and sometimes 10% off discounts that buyers receive now just barely covers sales tax, so its hard to want to continue using ebay. What I do not understand is how or why used and antique parts are being taxed. I could understand if the mandatory ebay state enforced sales tax was applied to just new items, but charging tax on used or broken hundred year old parts, that is ridiculous. Now that all of the state governments are getting yet another piece of the pie, it will never go away.

Chris

Handlebar99

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
Well, the free ride on a sales tax free evilbay is now over. For those parts that we can only find on evilbay, we just have to suck it up and pay. Its the new reality.
Ray Rice, still cranky, in Rifton

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Well folks, I'm wrong again. (thanks Tommy). I got on this world wide webby thingy and did some research. Seems that a quit of few states are open for taxing shipping and it is NOT eBay's fault. It is once again your politicians doing. Our dollar is going less and less these days. Sorry for pointing the finger at the wrong culprit. Here is a listing of what states are doing this and I'm sure more to follow.
•Arkansas
•Connecticut
•District of Columbia
•Georgia
•Hawaii
•Kansas
•Kentucky
•Michigan
•Minnesota
•Mississippi
•Nebraska
•New Jersey
•New Mexico
•New York
•North Carolina
•North Dakota
•Ohio
•Pennsylvania
•South Carolina
•South Dakota
•Tennessee
•Texas
•Vermont
•Washington
•West Virginia
•Wisconsin
•Wyoming

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
All politicians are good for is stealing more money, they dont care to manage it when they can just get more! The psa here is blowing money like mad! they have put in several pump/ generator stations in that were weather ready, but NO the had to build a block building around them and put a roof on it! A guy that has worked for them 20+ years told me they were having a hard time where to spend X number of dollars.

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
I wondered why i was paying taxes in other states on my purchases it was just Pa the state where i reside and buy things from Pa now it does not matter yes our political arse holes are going to get it one way or another we just have to boycott evil bay:bonk:

gdstew

Registered
The bad thing is only legitimate businesses are doing this. Just think of all the tax money that should be collected if--swap meets, flee markets, yard sales, etc, all reported their sales and collected tax. Then the sellers would also claim as income these sales and pay Social Security and Medicare from these sales. How many of you have sold a car and "fudged" the sale amount so less tax was paid?

As a former business owner, it made me sick watching all the tax dollars slip through the system only to have more taxes dumped on me. Taxes and paperwork are killing small businesses.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
As a former business owner, it made me sick watching all the tax dollars slip through the system only to have more taxes dumped on me. Taxes and paperwork are killing small businesses.
what should make you sick is the fact it has gotten this far with taxes in the first place! And its being wasted!:rant: the ones doing the fleamarket and under the table things are just trying to survive, just like i am affraid you will be doing too if things dont turn around! A honest man dont stand a damn chance!!:rant::rant::rant:

ulgydog56

Registered
I ran a small business for 25 years, untold local, state and fed taxes at rates you can't believe..and if you didn't do some cash jobs you may as well work for someone else for 15.oo and hour, yet you take all the risk, invest all the money, no guaranteed pay check and long long hours. they can legally steal all kinds of your money that you earned, I,ll shed no tears...…..:mad:

Harry

Administrator
As a former business owner selling hardware for seven years, many times the state tax was more than my net profit. Out of my profit came all the other taxes that I had to pay, insurance, advertising, maintenance, rent, utilities, accountants, payroll, etc. The people collecting the sales tax had nothing to do with that, except all the payroll and benefits that they paid to their accountants, enforcers, lawyers, utilities, office staff, etc.

I also worked for a state for 23 years. Each year, we were assigned a budget to keep our operation going for a year. At the end of the fiscal year, the command was issued forth, "spend it all or you won't get as much next year." So, it was all spent.

The government cares not a damn how inefficient they are so long as the taxes keep coming in. Politics is primarily comprised of lawyers that figure out how to squeeze out more money and how to spend it all.

Money makes the world go around, but there is a lot of leakage in the flow chart. Nothing certain, but death and taxes!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
well folks I have bad news, its not just fleabay charging tax on shipping! I just placed a order with grizzly and they got me too and VA aint on that list! as for taxing used stuff they see it no different than a used car, all those charges @ the DMV is taxes anyway you look at it and they value it at what they think its worth!

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
Tracy i am with you buddy just told my brother in law this morning us we the american people better wake the frak up we are getting screwed so much any more i think i will start wearing my pants backwards so they can have the zipper access The GOVERNMENT worry about us we beating them out of a penny maybe they need to look in the mirror at there self all hear is about this up coming election and do not think one minute either side worrys a bout us heck no it is how to swendle and fleeece us out of our hard earned money so i better stop for now for i do loose it and really let go so i want to count to 10 and cool down so Uncle sam is watching us on this smok stak got to watch what we say they will send the men in black to our doors :eek: :salute:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Let them watch, I dont know if you have noticed but alot of what has been talked about here on the stak has come into reality. just like one of the lyrics in a rush song "if you chose to do nothing you have still made a choice"

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
Tracy T time to strap the iron on and take a stand one for all and all for one but seriously the rich get richer and the poor get poorer :salute::salute:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
This is one reason I barter with some of my customers, works out for both of us.

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018
As Yosemite Sam used to say,
why it's getting so a man can't earn a dishonest living no more..

Onan Dan

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2019
Just like this Black Friday sales today if a store can sale a 65 inch tv and get this a smart tv today for 278 dollars and normal price is 650 dollars all year well then they can sale it for 278 every day i do not will not stand in line with the crazies i got a tv and do not watch it much any way tv is another way of brain washing the young folks any way kids today are not like when we grew up we were out in the fields grubbing a living out of the earth if i had a dollar or two in my pocket i was rich :D