• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Ebay Buying Selling Questions

Ralph Leonard

I need some advice and or opinions on both buying and selling. I see Ebay stressing Pay Pal every way I turn but friends have advised against it. What are the pros and cons for using Pay Pal?

There are so many ways for paying and shipping that it is confusing. And all the scam/fraud I read about here on the Stak does'nt help much either. Who determines the shipping method? The buyer or seller?

I was told that my first winning bid, a mag bracket, was shipped from Quebec Jan 27 but have not recieved it yet. Ten calender days, is that normal?

Also, to get the feel of things I am starting out offering 3 small items to sell, one is 5663591604. Please offer any suggestions you may have including criticism, (I usually get over it in a week or two) :p

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Re: Ebay Buying Selling Qs

Ralph,
I've only bought on Ebay. Have not sold yet but would also like to in the future. I think your auctions look very professional. Two good choices for shipping with the charges shown. No reserve. I like PayPal. Not sure of cost to a seller but is very convenient for the buyer. You get instant payment, don't have to deal with 10 day clearing period of personal checks, etc. and I don't have the hassle of getting a money order. 10 days shipping from Canada is not unusual in my experience. Good luck in your new endeavor.

KeithW

I have had very good luck buying and selling on E-bay. I've only had one non pay and that was on an item that sold for about a buck. I also use Paypal for buying and selling. It is very convenient, but, they sure do charge the fees. One thing I always do is be painfully honest about the condition. I would rather the customer feel they got better than they expected rather than over bid on a flowered up description.

keithw

Mike Inglis

Now that bidpay is shut down, its either paypal or postal money orders i guess

I know items we have purchased from the US and have them shipped to Canada always vary in time received...Sometimes its a week or so, also have waited over a month from the date it was shipped on.

Mike

Junkologist

Subscriber

I've been buying and selling on eBay for about 6 years now and it's definitely not been a bad experience. I use Paypal for both buying and selling and the only thing I don't like is they really stick it to you if you accept credit card payments as a seller. I've had close to 800 transactions on eBay and I've only been stiffed once as a buyer and I've only had several non-paying buyers on things I've sold. The odds are in your favor, I think.:)

Mike

Mike Smith

Looks good Ralph, I see you really did pay attention in class the other day!:D LOL! Ralph I never accept pay pal from a buyer simply because there's already enough fees involved with selling. They don't call it Fee Bay for nothing. I do use pay pal sometimes when buying however. Like the others have said, it costs YOU to accept pay pal. I have noticed some sellers adding an additional 3% to the final sale price if you choose to pay via pay pal. I also never accept personal checks, just too much hassle waiting on it to clear. I've never had any bad luck yet in several years of buying and selling "knock on wood". You'll do fine selling and you really cannot get had, afterall you have the merchandise until it's paid in full. It's the buying that you have to be cautious about. Have fun and go ahead and list some of that old iron you got hid away.

Take care,
Mike

A

Allen

EvilBay pushes PayPain because they own it.The more people that use it, the more money they make. Last time I checked the PayPal seller fees are running pretty close to 3-3.5% if you accept credit/debit cards. :eek: Most banks can set you up with a commercial account that will charge you around 2.5%, but it is getting harder to get the buyers to pick up the phone and call you (even if you offer them an 800#). :(

I guess many people just prefer to 'click' and be done with it. Personally, I'd rather have a little more contact, rather than less. It helps prevent many of those little misunderstandings. :rolleyes:

Yes, I use eBay to buy and sell, but I often wish there was a better way. Sometimes it seems they make more money on the stuff than I do. :(

Last edited:

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber

When buying on ebay first thing I check is whether the seller will ship to Canada, second is if I can pay with PayPal against my credit card. If the answer is no to either, I usually pass the item up unless it's something I really want. It's hard to justify a $5.00 charge for a money order plus close to a buck for a stamp for a $10 to $20 item and then have a week to 10 day delay for the money order to arrive before the item is shipped. Then there is a further one to two week delay for the item to arrive, or longer if it happens to sit in customs under a pile of mail to be processed.

I consider ebay and PayPal fees to be minimal in comparison to what you would have to pay a live auctioneer to sell the same item and not nearly the exposure. Guess it depends from what perspective you are looking at the situation.

Bill

Peter Ruffle

Ralph,
Your auctions look great,:) I think you have all the info/questions type stuff down. I have learned that where you place the listing (category) and how your title reads is vital to get your item and the most "lookers" together. Check where and how others are listing similar items. The purse is not where someone looking for that is going to go if they are doing a search by category, the other 2 you nailed.
Pay Pal can be scary to start, but it does work. I use it as a buyer and as a seller, and yes the fees are there but I look at it as a cost of doing "business," I would never get the exposure I get on Ebay at the local group "antique" shops, engine shows just don't happen up here in the winter and I don't have to pay until I sell. Set up a separate account with a minimum $$ and use it as your pay pal account, that way if anything should crash and burn the bad guys don't get much.
If you have any other questions "pm" me and I will help any way I can.
Peter

kerogas

Depends on what you are selling , like that gasometer i just bought .... an OFE will pay with timber or diamonds if he has to , but joeblow will buy more products and spend more money with paypal than without . Convenience .
I bid on a scale and some printers crtdgs last monday and had em on wed and thurs .!!

Its like the reason a biz should take credit cards , it will spur sales that never would have happened and cause people to spend more per invoice than they normally would . They get a cut right off the top , tax and everything , but the volume is worth it .

With super rare stuff , they will cut down trees and stack them or WALK ALL THE WAY to the PO and get you a USPSMO (inconvenience- think about it" If I bid on THIS one ...I gotta REMEMBER to hump it down to the PO "). But if there is a ton of competition selling the same thing , paypal is one way to get more bids .

Jeff Smith

Subscriber

People complain about ebay, but even with the fees, where else can you get worldwide exposure and a quick sale/payment compared to lugging your item to a swap meet, paying a fee and then not selling it, or at a reduced rate? I like ebay because I don't have to leave home, can shop for what I like such as engines, and then use paypal to buy or sell. Even with ebay and paypal's cut, the seller usually ends up with more money for an item than they would have had they taken the item to a show. The funny thing is, a lot of people grip about the fees and they might have found, been given, or purchased the item for peanuts to begin with and still want every penny and can't be happy and would complain if the fee was even .01%.

I won't buy from sellers that do not take paypal because I am not going through the trouble of getting a money order somewhere and waiting for weeks to get my item. I have noticed some items from a seller on there now that I would like to have, but I am not going to bid because they don't take paypal. I have emailed sellers in the past and asked them if I paid the paypal fees would they let me bid and some do and some don't.

Jeff

ronm

Subscriber
The only transaction I've ever had go bad on ebay, if I hadn't used Paypal I'd have been screwed...the guy represented the item as "new", first denied knowing the item was damaged, then accused ME of damaging it. Refused to take it back, so I filed a complaint w/Paypal. It took over a month, but finally got my money back, after having to send the item, (a Blake CO-ax indicator), to the factory to confirm it was damaged. If I had sent him a check or money order, he'd have gone on his merry way, w/my money. I don't know what leverage they applied, but they got his attention...up to that point, I was not a big fan of PP, but they did come thru for me...
Ron in CO...

Mike Smith

I disagree with all of you who are saying the sellers who accept pay-pal get more bids. Bottom line is, If you have a good product or a rare piece then no one is going to let it slip by and not bid just because you don't accept pay-pal. I have sold many items and never once had a complaint about no pay-pal. If you have certain types of checking accounts at your bank like I do then you get free money orders anyway. I see no hassle whatsoever when I buy from e-bay if I have to send a bank check. Just my $.02 worth.

Mike

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Not everyone has easy access to a Bank that offers free money orders to it's customers. Our community lost it's only Bank quite a few years ago so I have to drive 30 miles to the next city and back if I want to get a money order from my account at a Bank there. Now I'm looking at the price of gas at almost $4 per gallon, wear and tear on the vehicle and over an hour in travelling time by the time you find a parking spot. Suddenly that free money order isn't so free anymore and you still have the stamp to buy and the time it takes for the money order to reach the seller. It's easier and less costly to buy a money order at the local post office but still a factor on items less than $100 or so.

I can assure you that many ebay sellers have lost out on a higher bid for an item from me because they didn't accept PayPal from a credit card and I'm sure there are others like me. In most cases the higher bid amount would likely have more than made up for the fee charged by PayPal.

Bill

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Mike Smith said:
I disagree with all of you who are saying the sellers who accept pay-pal get more bids. Bottom line is, If you have a good product or a rare piece then no one is going to let it slip by and not bid just because you don't accept pay-pal. I have sold many items and never once had a complaint about no pay-pal. If you have certain types of checking accounts at your bank like I do then you get free money orders anyway. I see no hassle whatsoever when I buy from e-bay if I have to send a bank check. Just my $.02 worth.
I did not bid last night on four nice priming cups that I'd like to have because of no PayPal. They went for a little over $10 each which is a good price. If I'd gotten a M.O. the next day after sale, adressed, stamped & posted an envelope buyer might have received by Friday.Probably would have waited until first of following week to ship, then 5 to 6 day delivery. Probably at least 10 days. No thanks. With PayPal he would have been paid the evening of sale & could ship the next day if on the ball. 3 or 4 day delivery.

HBurk

Subscriber
DOUG,
are you going to have 4 nice priming cups from another source in 10 days from now? something to think about.

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Maybe Doug missed getting the items this time but I think the point being made is that the seller would have got a higher bid if he would have accepted PayPal.

Bill

Mike Smith

Sorry guys but if you're in that big of a hurry then don't buy from e-bay!:cool: You are entitled to your opinion, hey everybody has one. You will never make me believe that I'll be losing sales or higher bids by not accepting pay pal. There's too many people who don't mind sending a money order. I have always gotten well over what I ever expected on my items for sale. Like I said before, it's marketing 101 and if you have a good product and description, it will sell itself regardless of payment. You guys are just missing out on good stuff by being so petty over a sellers payment instructions. Good Luck in the future!

Mike

Rudy

Subscriber
I agee with Mike. I have bought over 200 gas engine/magneto related items on E-bay and i always pay with a bank money order which costs $2.00. I don't need Paypal,I don't need anything in a hurry, this is a hobby after all,and i don't know why everyone is in a BIG rush.We are not using these engines to farm or make a living. Good Grief.