• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Ebay, go figure

Isaac-1

I just ran across ebay item 290424719429

The description calls it a 70 KW ONAN DIESEL STAND BY GENERATOR SET MODEL 70 KR

goes on to describe in detail repeatedly that it is a diesel generator, the seller has a 99%+ positive rating and nearly 10,000 sales, with a mechanical sounding store name. Obviously this is not a diesel, maybe the photos showing spark plug wires should be a clue, worse yet, there are now 15 bids and the price is up over $1,000

I can see that kind of bidding by people not knowing what they are looking at for small "home backup" units, but this is a 70KW industrial style generator

sorry just had to rant to someone that might get it

Ike

VaughnSimon

I hate E-bay, hate the abuses (like the one you noted), hate the charges, hate the weird rules, and hate plus don't trust Paypal.

Unfortunately sometimes there is just no reasonable alternative.

Vaughn

Isaac-1

Yeah, but where else do you find certain style of panel meter, better yet that certain style of panel meter NOS for $2.50 plus shipping when the made in China junk sells for $25.

Ike

Last edited:

Ironsides

Stupid people + money = Ebay.Mate I really do take exception to that statement!I have bought off Ebay however I generally know what I want and the price I want to pay,so far all has gone well.I refuse to use paypal,(won't bid on items that are pay that way).Perhaps you have had bad experiences BUT don't lump those of us who use Ebay as stupid,or maybe it will come back and bite you on the buttocks,Norm:bonk:

Billy J Shafer

I use ebay also. It is not as good as it once was:rant::rant:. But sometimes you have no choice. They do need to hire a proof reader.

J. McNugget

eMail NOT Working
Hey guys, I guess I may be stupid, but I have through E-Bay a reserve stock of 2 fuel rack solinoids for mine and my friend's DJB/C machines, and two also of the non-existant DJA solinoids. I've also picked up diodes and fuel pumps, to name a few of the key parts.

There is lots of things to be wary of, but if you know your price and are patient, you can find what you want. On Paypal, we have never had an issue - they provide a service and should be expected to get a cut of the action.

My bigger challenge, living in Canada is to convince sellers to ship to me at a reasonable rate.

richard.bessey

Someone is in for a big surprise!

I have made many purchases off of Ebay, and have learned ya gotta do your homework know what you are buying! Sometimes you win out, sometimes you loose. It comes with buying used.

Isaac-1

speaking oh homework, that is part of what makes this such a sad example, since they have the big note at the bottom:

SPECIAL!
NOTE...Item description has been composed utilizing details and criteria available to our description research staff. The general details of this auction description are factual to the best of our knowledge.....

research staff, machinery in their name, 8,000+ sales, an they still get something this wrong, why is it that the term, New Employee comes to mind.

Ike

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
25-30 years after cutting open the original coil and running a wire to a remote mounted coil on my 37 Ford Flathead, I have since purchased 3 NOS Ford and 2 NOS aftermarket coils. Even the aftermarket ones have been out of production for 40+ years and none of the local hot rod shops had any leads on finding anything other than used ones that may or may not work.

Yes, it's Buyer Beware, but there are countless bargains on there too if you know what you're looking for.

Unfortunately there are also scam artists on there calling cast iron toys "Salesmans Samples" and those that sell reproduction iron toys claiming they find them by 'scouring the South' picking things up at Estate Sales even though they keep selling multiple copies of the same repro. And there are those that haven't got a clue what they have and use what little information they do have to find a similar item and copy their description whether it's acurate or not, like the people that list "Hit and Miss Steam Engines" :shrug: I thought all steam engines were 'throttle governed':shrug:

As long as you know what you're looking for, sometimes you stumble accross something interesting that you weren't looking for when someone mis-lists an item.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Hopefully all of those bidders were smart enough to look at the pictures and know what they're bidding on, but I reported it to eBay anyway as a misleading title and description so if the winning bidder finds out after the fact that it isn't what it was advertised to be, it may help them win their case against the seller.... if eBay doesn't force them to revise the listing or pull it before it ends.

Of course with a misleading description on what it even is, would you trust them that it's in working order ?:shrug:

Buyer Beware !​

BTPost

Staff member
I sent the Seller a "Item Question Message", and advised him that this Genset was being misrepresented. We will see just what happens now, and if he responds to my message. He has responded to 9 other messages, from other users about a lot of other things, but NOT about this misrepresentation. So, we will see.....

Isaac-1

Bruce, I probably should have mentioned, I sent the seller a note about it when I spotted the problem. However having more than one say it is mislisted is probably a goood thing.

Ike

Bill Pfankuch

That just shows us E-bay can have crooks I have only been burnt once buying collector cards for my kid. sets. I just use caution and hope for the best when looking for obsolete items.

BTPost

Staff member
Just saw another REALLY DUMB eBay Auction.... some Yahoo is trying to sell a Chinese Diesel Engine called an "Xing dong" that he says is 33 Horsepower. Well it is a small, single Cyl patterned after the Yanmar NT70M I have, which was a copy of an OLD PreWWII German Benz Design from the late 30's and early 40's... These things were good for MAYBE 3.5 HP @ 2000 Rpm, but to sell them as 33 Horsepower is just plain Bull***P, and out and out Misrepresentation... I eMailed the guy, and he insists these are 33.0 Horsepower engines... I eMailed him back and told him he is DELUDED....
Oh Well, Buyer Beware...

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Maybe their horses are smaller and undernourished:shrug:, it may take 33 of them to do the work that 3 1/2 of ours could do.:D

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Bruce, I probably should have mentioned, I sent the seller a note about it when I spotted the problem. However having more than one say it is mislisted is probably a goood thing.
Ike
Along with reporting it to eBay for misleading title & description, I also clicked on the 'ask seller a question' link and let him know that Diesels don't have carburators, distributors, coils, or sparkplugs, and that it was setup with an LP (or natural gas) regulator on the carb.

He has an e-mail link posted in the listing, but then he has two notes near the bottom claiming that the e-mail isn't working... That's why I used the 'ask seller a question' link.

S

Sky

Over 5 years of being on ebay even with the new rules pushed of on us do gooders with problems of buybidder auctions and nigerian scammers, i havnt a single problem. I've had mis-understandings, i've had an individual rip me off by mis-representation, i've had a couple individuals TRY to rip me off and i've even had the sarcastic hard noses that must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. Still, no serious issue's. No i dont like paypal any more then the next guy who knows what paypal is, but regaurdless, they have made it to were you use paypal or dont use ebay. That is whats so shady about ebay. Ebay has gradated from what use to be a solid ore somewhat solid auction platform to a half rotted wood floor with holes that you have to watch your footing on but regaurdless, i still use ebay myself with no troubles-- YET. And to know what do bid on and were to stop, i've scored and continue to score good deals to this day. Most recent a set of 6 automotive babbit rods for 180 bucks. NOS! Now if i were to have rods rebabited it would be $65 a piece. Thats $390 bucks PLUS shipping.

Last edited: