• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Ebay has a new policy?

Inverted

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2019
I was talking to a friend tonight and he was telling me that he won an engine on ebay - was notified by ebay that he had won. The next day he paid for it and a short time later he got a message from ebay that the ebay auction had been canceled by the seller after coming down. He did get his money back but is this a new policy by ebay to let the seller cancel the deal after it came down and was awarded?? It would sure benefit the seller. I guess that if the seller does not get what he wants for his item he can cancel??
There was no reserve, buy it now and started at a low price:shrug:

K-Tron

Registered
Re: Ebay has a new policy ?????

You are certainly allowed to do that, but I believe you are only allowed to do so once per quarter, unless you have a registered ebay business. As a seller, you simply click the "item damaged or lost" button to initiate the refund. However most ebayers abuse this policy and do exactly that, relist the item simply because it did not bring what he/she wanted. I know a guy who does this with every sale he makes on ebay. He cancels after payment is made, so that he can make the sale outside of ebay, via paypal email, and bypass ebay's 10% fee on the item. It is wrong and very messed up. Sadly he is a fellow stakker who knows the ins and outs of ebay to run his "business". I have had this happen to me on two occasions after winning certain parts very cheap, only to find it was "damaged or misplaced" and then relisted a week later. Sadly calling ebay about the seller has little to no ill effect. What is worse is that ebay has made it extremely difficult to leave negative feedback for sellers who engage in this activity in this manner.

Chris

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I cannot say what others do, but yes a seller can cancel after a sale, but as mentioned only so many times per period before getting penalized one way or other by ebay. Not sure how one could do as Ktron describes without getting booted.

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
Last Subscription Date
02/10/2020
Sounds like a bad deal if the seller just canceled the sale because they didn’t get as much as they wanted. I haven’t done auctions in a long time but I have canceled the sale a few times when the situation didn’t seem right. I had a guy buy a part a few months ago who seemed like a angry nut job. He bought an item then was contacted me on Facebook and seemed weird then blocked me on there for no apparent reason. I canceled the sale and refunded his money. Then he had his wife buy it and I canceled that sale. She asked why I did that and I told her it was because I didn’t feel comfortable dealing with her husband. She said “ I understand”. I guess she probably knew he was a stupid a hole..

Gene Fisher

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/22/2019
Easy way around the problem. Do a reserve price, do a best offer with set price, price it high enough so you will be satisfied with the sale. Price it for $1.00 and take what you get. When i started dealing on ebay some 20 years ago if you had four negative feed back you were banned and now i see sellers with hundreds of negative feed back. The reason for that is ebay would not have many sellers using the early restrictions.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I had a guy do that to me. I won fair and square and the guy simply refused to cooperate (was local pickup). Contacted eBay and they said they couldn't make him sell the item. What about "binding contract?". Get a lawyer. Nice.

Turns out he is also a Stakker. If I can find the thread I'll post the Smokstak user name and eBay user name. Or just link to the thread. I absolutely expose sacks of &4!1 like that. :rant:

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Sounds like a bad deal if the seller just canceled the sale because they didn’t get as much as they wanted. I haven’t done auctions in a long time but I have canceled the sale a few times when the situation didn’t seem right. I had a guy buy a part a few months ago who seemed like a angry nut job. He bought an item then was contacted me on Facebook and seemed weird then blocked me on there for no apparent reason. I canceled the sale and refunded his money. Then he had his wife buy it and I canceled that sale. She asked why I did that and I told her it was because I didn’t feel comfortable dealing with her husband. She said “ I understand”. I guess she probably knew he was a stupid a hole..

I wondered why you canceled the sale to my wife Jon......:O........:D

Just kidding. I can see the rare instance when a seller would need to do this. I bought a fuel tank off a guy that I know quite well. He contacted me a few days after the sale and said he went to pick the tank up out of the corner of his shop and it wasn't there. He said he hunted and hunted but never found it. I told him to just keep looking and if he found it, just let me know. After a couple of weeks he called and said no luck. So, he canceled the sale and I got my money back. I have no doubt with this gent. Someone lifted the tank, it got mistakenly tossed or loaded with something else, etc. Things happen I understand. But, if someone decides "I think that thing will bring $20 more in a couple of weeks" then its wrong. If the buyer is held to ebay's "commitment to purchase is a contract" then the seller should as well.

Inverted

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2019
I do realize that we are living in the time of deception, untruths, finger pointing and scams and I am having a hard time understanding why not play by the rules??
I do think it might be a great idea to post the people who do this type of business so those who try to play by the rules will know not to bid on there items (unless the item is needed badly):shrug:
It seems to me like going to an auction where TOADIES are posted to run up the items. Just put a reserve on the item if you are afraid it will go to low.
I do admire people like OLE Jon Roz who puts on what he wants and if you need it buy it and a lot of the time he will deal with you. NO DECEPTION nessary:bonk:
I had a guy do that to me. I won fair and square and the guy simply refused to cooperate (was local pickup). Contacted eBay and they said they couldn't make him sell the item. What about "binding contract?". Get a lawyer. Nice.

Turns out he is also a Stakker. If I can find the thread I'll post the Smokstak user name and eBay user name. Or just link to the thread. I absolutely expose sacks of &4!1 like that. :rant:

Inverted

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2019
OK - Was talking to my friend that got nailed by the sale on ebay that was I guess Legally canceled by the seller after the item came down.
His question and I guess mine is what if one or several bid up an item that one of these so called legal scammers put up for bid with no reserve and get it at a real high closing price? Then after a couple of days they do not pay this guy. Are they not doing the same thing but in reverse:shrug: Or canceling the purchase just like they canceled the sell??
Would like to here some response's or thoughts:salute: - Frozen Ted

hitmis1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/25/2011
Inverted,
I though I had the largest doorstop collection
Bill in KY

Skip Landis

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Okay, this is about ebay, but a different vein. There was a butter churn attachment for a 1 1/2 "M"that finished on saturday. In 50 plus years of old engines, i,ve never seen one in the flesh. I wanted it! I bid $1501.99, i know it's crazy. I was bidder #16. Had it at $935.00 till 3 seconds from close. Bang! sold to bidder #17 for $1525.99 How does that happen? That bid had to come in within the last 3 seconds or i would have been knocked out earlier. I guess it's possible, but how'd he know how much to bid? Just trying to understand the system a little better. skip

Sonny Reese

Registered
YUP!--- bidding sniper! I never use it but know a LOT of people that do! It's dirty pool, but these people don't care. I have lost many times to them, and for that reason I don't do e-pay any more! ---They are all crooks! thanks; sonny

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yes, a bid sniper service, I use one and have no qualms about it, or others using it too. Sometimes it gets me an item at a good price, sometimes I win, but have regrets for spending that much, sometimes I lose and am amazed at what others decided the value should be.

Tony Glaser

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
Okay, this is about ebay, but a different vein. There was a butter churn attachment for a 1 1/2 "M"that finished on saturday. In 50 plus years of old engines, i,ve never seen one in the flesh. I wanted it! I bid $1501.99, i know it's crazy. I was bidder #16. Had it at $935.00 till 3 seconds from close. Bang! sold to bidder #17 for $1525.99 How does that happen? That bid had to come in within the last 3 seconds or i would have been knocked out earlier. I guess it's possible, but how'd he know how much to bid? Just trying to understand the system a little better. skip
Skip, are you sure it didn't sell for 1526.99? I could be wrong but if the bid increment is $25 the winning bidder May of had a bid of $2000 or $5000 or more... eBay bids on their behalf one bid increment higher than what your bid was. At the end of the day his max bid was higher than yours and with the bid sniper app you wouldn't have time to try to out bid your opponent. I hope this helps.

Skip Landis

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Thanks guys, i guess the next time i see something i want, i'll just have to mortgage the house & bet the whole shootin' match. skip

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Skip, its just a version of poker, never show your hand. It is a timed auction, #1 rule is if you want to bid, it has to be in before hammer drops. If you play the incremental bid game, then every other player knows where you are (they can see your hand) 5 minutes before closing, and toss in a higher bid in final seconds either manually or with sniper, and beat you. I don't have time to wait for auctions to close, and honestly no longer enjoy the stress associated with bidding. With a bidding service I decide on high bid, and let the dice roll. Sometimes if I see there are no bidders I will throw in an opening bid, it lets seller know there is interest, and usually brings in a few more bids from others, and makes seller think twice about cancelling sale and re-listing with buy it now instead. Wishing you luck on your next bid purchase!