• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

EBAY: It is possible to win item without Sniping Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Widelo

Registered
I can't understand EBay these days I have been using it since February of 2000 and seems now a days it just gets harder and harder to win items on EBay. This is why I am wondering if it is even possible to win an item without a software program helping you win it? What happened to winning auction the good old-fashioned way with out the use of so called "sniping software" which I think is the equivalent of using a phone jammer to win a radio call in contest. EBay used to be about getting good items which you can’t get locally not about jamming or limiting people bidding on an item they so dearly want, it should be up to luck or skill not to who ever has the best "cheater" software. How is it possible to get a bid in with less than 10 seconds left to go, it takes more than that to place a bid. If you can’t beat them join them I guess since there is no level playing field anymore on eBay I might as well have an advantage like so many others do. Recently I have become a victim to a snipe for a nice FBM Catalog and in the past once or twice on other items I tried to win, its just becoming a pain to buy anything you really want because your going to be out bid anyways
These are just a few thoughts; I will end with this statement.
If ya can't play fair don't play at all. I guess these famous words don’t apply to eBay :confused:

C

CJ Winslow

Re: Ot: It is possible to win item on Ebay without Sniping Software ?

A few thoughts come to mind - sometimes if you want to play you have to pay. Next, the guys using the snipe software are just using the resources available to their advantage. Life is all about using the resources you have to your advantage. I do not use this software, but I don't hold those to blame for using it. Lastly, I feel that being out bid is part of the deal on ebay. I have bought a lot of things on ebay, but I also have been outbid on probably 4 auctions for every one that I win. Buying an item on ebay and buying something through a good old fashioned hand shake in person are two totally different things, both with their inherent good sides and bad sides. Good luck on your future bidding - I know that you have won at least a few Fairbanks Morse parts off ebay at the right price :) .

- CJ Winslow

Steve Barr

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/09/2014

Sure you can win on ebay without "sniping"...I have done both. Just bid your max price. That is it. If you get it you win if someone out bids you, that meant that they were willing to pay more than your max bid.

On an engine I purchased, I put a bid in on a bid service and it bid with 10-20 seconds left. I was on the phone talking to another person when it ended. No worries about a dropped connection, etc. I have had other bids placed when I wasn't home...I was driving home from a gas engine show !!! I just put my max in and If I get it, I do. Other items I bid the normal way.

There are times I play with the bid to see where things are at...and some of the time I end up with it. Still I perfer to wait till the end so I don't give the other bidders a chance to outbid or try to find my proxy bid...part of the game...as a bidder, I like it, but as a seller I don't...Easy to understand.

Rob Skinner

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2011

Jonathan Widelo said:
Recently I have become a victim to a snipe for a nice FBM Catalog and in the past once or twice on other items I tried to win, its just becoming a pain to buy anything you really want because your going to be out bid anyways
Gee, that's really unfortunate that you were victimized by mean people. Let's all have a group hug so we can re-establish our self esteem. Maybe you should file a hate crime lawsuit against the winner.

Here's a strategy for the next time you see an item that you really want: Belly up to the table like a man -- lay down your bankroll -- let it ride. In this case, size DOES matter. If the number you type in is big enough, NO ONE will be able to beat you. Yes, it's a simple strategy, but very effective.

Rob

P.S.
Did you contact the seller and tell him your tale of woe? Maybe he'll sell the item to YOU instead of the high bidder, considering the high bidder is a mean spirited cheater. Ask him.

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Sure is, Just bid your maximum on the first bid and let it go.

Last edited:

Hank Bahmer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/23/2009

No need for Rob Skinner to be so sarcastic in his post.

Peter Ruffle

Registered

E bay is free market on a world level, and as such the high bidder gets it, snipers or not. You decide what you are willing to pay for an item and place your bid, that personal max bid, and let ebay do the work. If someone else bids a higher max bid 10 minutes later on the first day of the auction and you get your outbid notice and say that's it, well guess what, they win. Trying to get the last bid in at the last second is a sure way to lose an item. You have to decide how badly you want or need what is offered and make a decision about $ and go with it. I have been the first bidder on items and never place another bid on them, watch it sit until the last hour or so and then watch it jump, was my max enough? Sometimes yes sometimes no, but it is too late then to decide I didn't bid enough. If it is a true life or death item then an auction is not the place to shop for it.
Peter

Leonard Keifer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2018

I've never used the sniper software and have won many auctions. I've also lost many. I just put in my maximum bid, sit back and let ebay take it's course. If someone else has more money and wants the item bad enough he can have it, I'll look for another one.

You have to remember, this is an auction (most money wins) not an offer to sell in a classified ad. If you had agreed to buy something from a seller from a classified ad and he then canceled because someone else pffered more money you'd have a legitimate gripe.

Just like at a "live" auction you can't win 'em all.

Last edited:

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013

I found ebay about couple years ago. it took me about one month to get fully clued in.

I got off to a bad start, when I suspected one seller was bidding on his own item. A bid was retracted and replaced with a lower bid just over mine. I did the mutual negative feedback thing and watched his auctions. I saw a pattern and reported that to ebay. Nothing happended. Lesson No1.

Ok, so you got all kinds mostly good but a few bad apples just like the open air flea mkts. I got the idea, keep your antenna up and read the feedbacks.

Now for bidding. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ANYBODY BID EARLY!!! I mean come on. What is the reason? To get the thrill of watching others and nickel and dime you up over the coarse of the week. Ebay is like poker. You gotta keep your intentions secret and bid at the END of the auction. Took me about a week to figure that one out. Maybe I'm a little slow. Some will advise you to bid early and bid high. Guess what, thats what the sellers want you to do! For me: Its not about winning or a big trip, its about buying for the lowest possable price or take a pass and wait for another time.

So now what, I set the alarm for 2am. So I can submitt a last minute bid. Fine, now I win an occasional auction. But man, I am wasting a lot of time. It took about a month to learn about sniping software. GREATEST THING SINCE SLICE BREAD!! I signed up with auctionsniper.com, they take a few cents on each auction I win and now I sleep all night.

Thats how ebay works.

Clifton Clowers

Registered

It always amaized me that so many people would put their user name and password into an unknown piece of software.
I downloaded several ,then got cold feet and deleted them without useing them.I get email almost daily wanting that information from paypal and ebay false sites. I'll keep my hand on my own wallet thanks. clifton

Leonard Keifer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2018

I bid early because I don't want to "get up at 2 am" as you say and I don't want to use some software, other than ebay's proxy bidding, to make my bid. I figure out the most I'm willing to pay for an item, put that in as my maximum and wait for things to happen.

By bidding early with my maximum bid I don't get caught up in the frenzy of "I gotta have this thing."

On several occasions I've put in my maximum bid, gotten outbid (maybe by sniper software, maybe not) then later found the same item at a lower opening bid and no one bid against me.

Jonathan Widelo

Registered

from what you all say i guess you win some ya loose some , and sometimes is more agrvating when you forget to place a bid and an item sells fro cheap I did that one on a complete Fairbanks governor complete with tripper parts for the ab33 mag it sold for just over 16 bucks i was gonna a place a bid at the close of the auction but I figured out the time difference wrong and was an hour off and the auction had already ended. I guess that is worse all i know is someone got a hell of a bargan on that Item. I agree with you Clifton I don't like to put my name or other informantion into software like that you never know where its gonna end up. I also agree with Hank, but there is always one on the crowd who thinks he is "funny" well Rob HA HA HA :crazy:
Now a days there is no reason to place a bid so early, nothing really happens till the last minute or few seconds, it hard to go all in with out an advantage
Thanks ~ Jonathan :cool:

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013

So, I asusme you bid the evening before the auction ends? Right?
There is no reason in the world anyone would bid a week ahead.

If one choose not to use sniper software thats fine, but the origional post sounded like a gripe. Sniping is how the system works. Its not about WINNING. Its about buying low. Thats why you bid late (as late as you can). That why sellers HATE late bidding.

Singup for sniping is no worse than ordering books online or efiling your tax return. You got to auctionsniper.com. Dont reply to a solication, you go there . Its works for all of us just fine. I did get a special low limit credit card for all my e-commerce transactions. Books, auctionsniper, etc...

Dick Welty

Registered

Johnathan and Others,

I have bought over 100 items on e-bay and have learned the hard way much like many of you.

I once had a sore looser e-mail me after I made an unintended last minute winning bid. I don't remember what he said but I do remember responding to his e-mail by asking if he had ever been to an auction.

There is however a difference between a live auction and e-bay. In a live auction there isn't a time limit. You always have the oportunity to raise your bid if you want something more than the other guy.

I place the maximum bid that I will feel good about usually before the last day of the auction. That way I never feel bad if I don't win. I feel like I have saved my money for an other day.

After all, people don't sell on e-bay to get the lowest possible price, but rather to get the highest possible price.

I haven't yet sold anything on e-bay, but when I do I hope that no one that was willing to pay more than the winning bid lost because he was playing the last minute game.

I enjoy a bargan just like every one else. To me a bargan is sometimes just being able to locate a part that I cannot find at the local hardware store or any other place for that matter.

Have fun and bid responsibly. Well have fun anyway.

Dick :) :) :)

Last edited:

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013

Here is another way to look at ebay. this is very similar to the sealed bid govement auctions. After the time has elapsed the bids are opened.

Noone in their right mind would tell a competing bidder, what his sealed bid was ahead of time. Same thing with ebay. I keep my bids a secret by sniping. This give me a big advantage over those who do not snipe. In other words those who choose to broadcast thier bids ahead of time are at a disadvantage. Those who set thier alarm for 2am are wasting time.

FYI- auctionsnipe.com was a spinoff from the ebay site. This is just as secure as ebay or paypal.

One more thing, it just keep getting worse and worse for non snipers... I am able to recognise many many bidders by thier handle. I am prety well educated on how certain ebay biders behave and if I need somehting real real bad and I see certain person bidding. Guess what, yup.... I might just snipe higher. I even go checkout a peson bid history on previous auctions. I learn what kind of bidder I am up against. It can be very informative.

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019

Well if you have a slow dial up connection like I do either sniping or the sniping software is of questionable value. I have sniped some with some sucess but just got beat out of an item the other day as I didn't get the Killer Bid in on time. :( And I thought I was OK... I think my strategy from now on will be to put in a really good bid earlier then just bump it up a little in the last minute. I agree the prices on Ebay lately are rediculous but it must be worth that much to somebody.... :confused:

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013

auctionsniper.com sniping does not go threw your connection. auctionsniper has super fast access and will snipe for you in the last 5 or 10 seconds. It cost real cheep money. Its secure. It works.

Never bid early, never ever. If you plan to go back later and bump it up.
DONT. Go back later and thats when you make your first bid.

I recommend you look into auctionsniper. Trust me. I only have auctions to loose buy telling you about this.

Again, Why exactly do you bid early? It just encourages others to bid against you. Even if you win, it will often be at a higher price. Are you that wealthy that the dollars just dont matter? No sarcasm intended, but what can I say. I just dont get why anyone bids early and then goes back to bid up again. You know all the reupping shows in the bid history.

Please, try sniping and thank me later.

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
Last Subscription Date
12/18/2019

I tend to bid small early just so I have a reminder of the item. When it gets down toward the last day, I check in on the item and bid in what I want to bid. Sometimes the action has already taken the item up over what it's worth to me. Other times, I flat forget about an item and don't bid again. Researching my bid history is of little value. If I want it, I will "belly up to the table like a man" as someone put it before. I've beat out plenty of snipers who don't know enough to "Go big or go home".

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019

Well, Sometimes I have had my high bid lay there for days and ended up winning the item for a lot less than I was willing to pay. I geuss it depends on what you want and how it is listed also. Where sellers sell multiple items once in a while people will be asleep and you will really get a good buy. Insert saw teeth is one good example. I have more than I will ever use but if they are Cheep I will still buy them for friends.... If they sell for almost what they are worth I let somebody else buy them... :)

Leonard Keifer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2018

Well, I guess if it ever gets to the point that you "have" to use sniper software to win an auction on ebay I'll quit buying on ebay.

Unless sniperware operates differently than I think it does, you still put in your maximum bid, it's just that your bid doesn't show up until the last few seconds, so there's no guarentee that the bidder using ebay's proxybid won't beat you.

I disagree with the statement that there isn't a time limit at a live auction. If the auctioneer hammers the item down, if you were snoozing they don't open it again just for you.

Looks to me like there are those of us who don't use the sniperware and those that do, it also sounds like folks from both "camps" win auctions and lose auctions. So, use whatever you want and let's all have fun out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.