• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Economy 1 1/2 hp Paint

Mark20h

Registered
I am restoring a 1920 Economy hit and miss. This is my first hit and miss engine and would like to get it right. Does anyone know the name of the red paint that is a good match for the original? I know that they used a filler under the paint to get a smooth finish but what are restores using now?

JF671

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/11/2019
Re: Economy1 1/2 hp paint

IHC red is probably a pretty close match. Paint tends to change shades as it's exposed to the sun, so trying to get an exact match off of a hundred year old chip will get you a shade that matches the chip, but is probably not the same color as it was originally painted. Also, tinting paint in the early 1900s wasn't the exact science it is today so there were probably many "good enough" shades of Economy red used over the production run. I like using the non-aerosol paint that Tractor Supply sells. It's inexpensive, has a nice gloss and seems to hold up well to grease and gasoline.

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Re: Economy1 1/2 hp Paint

From what I have seen you should use a red that is darker than IHC red. Most today are not painted dark enough so any dark red should be good.

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2019

Regal Red from Rustoleum is a pretty good match for me.

Mark20h

Registered

I was thinking of using some auto paint that I have but it is probably to bright, one is bright red the other is viper red.
I like regal red, but how does it hold up to gas and oil? does anyone use a filler or just use primer to make it smooth?
Thanks again for the information.

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2019

It's sensitive to gas before it fully cures which would probably be a few months all in all. This would be at the point all solvents would be out of it. After that unless it drips on it constantly you should be alright. My experience anyway.

stillstandin

Registered

It's sensitive to gas before it fully cures which would probably be a few months all in all. This would be at the point all solvents would be out of it. After that unless it drips on it constantly you should be alright. My experience anyway.
Wouldn't baking the carb in the wife's oven cure it and harden it as well?

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020

I was thinking of using some auto paint that I have but it is probably to bright, one is bright red the other is viper red.
I like regal red, but how does it hold up to gas and oil? does anyone use a filler or just use primer to make it smooth?
Thanks again for the information.
IHC or regal red will work and old trick is If you want the red darker add some black paint to your red about 1 once per pint to start with

johnrod

Registered
I just did a 1 3/4 hp Economy, I used Rustoleum Regal Red. I have nothing to compare it to. but it sure looks good. I also coated it with Rustoleum Gloss Clear. hoping the AZ sun wouldnt turn the red to pink!
Rod in AZ

SteveK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/26/2019
i have used polyester body filler but it gets quite hard and unless you catch it while "green" it takes alot to remove it. so I switched to glazing putty, the kind that needs hardener. That sands down much easier.