• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Economy 1 1/2hp type e

VicF

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/18/2019
Hi, Here are some pics of my first hit and miss engine that i bought yesterday. Big thanks to Galan Hackman for selling me this engine and helping my dad backdown his driveway. I'll record a video of it running this afternoon. I'm currently planning on replacing the cylinder head as there is an old repair that causes it to smoke.

Attachments

Keith Kinney

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
Very nice! Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the owners manual.
Keith

VicF

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/18/2019
I was told that the exhaust valve hole was repaired with either epoxy or jb weld. So the valve doesn't seat right.

26kracing

Registered
If it runs the valve is seating ok and you mentioned about it smoking the head will not cause this it’s either to rich or your dripping to much oil nice engine and welcome to the addiction

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Oil - 6 to 10 drips/minute using SAE 30 oil. NO multigrade! The piston should look wet with oil as the engine is running. if it looks dry, add more oil/minute until it looks wet Over oiling wont hurt but will waste oil and possibly could cause white smoke and ignitor or spark plug fouling. Black smoke means the engine mixture is too rich. Close mixture scres by 1/8 turns and let engine runa few mintes to cler out the excess fuel. Adjust until the engine begins to double draw and back out until the engine hits at the first suction. Epoxy is a poor fix for heads, but if you do not load the engine,and you are not loosing compression out the exhaust, if it works, don't fix it! If youare blowing out the exhaust on the compression steoke, then you might have to see if a new seat can be installed. a competant machine shop should be able to fix it for less than a coet of a head.

VicF

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/18/2019
Economy 1 1/2 type E issues

Hi, so i just got this engine and I have ran into some problems. So I had the engine running find until recently it won’t continue you running. It will start run for maybe 15 seconds or so and then stop. I have noticed that the compression isn’t has good as it once was. I also noticed a like popping noise coming from the back of the cylinder. I know there was an issue with the cylinder head having an old repair that caused the valve to not seal all the way. Thanks

Dennis Peters

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Nice engine, nothing wrong with the way that one runs. I don't think I'd touch the head. Also welcome to the STAK

VicF

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/18/2019
Re: Economy 1 1/2 type E issues

UPDATE: So I decided to remove the cylinder head to inspect and found a lot of carbon build up. I reattached the head and tried starting it. It would start but only hit once or twice. I found that it draws fuel up but then starves itself. When I increase the fuel it either floods itself before even starting or firing and then flooding. Something interesting that I noticed is that I had a similar issues yesterday but I eventually got it running. Earlier in the day today I had it running, When i moved it to a flatter location it ran for 2 minutes before dying.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Re: Economy 1 1/2 type E issues

Basic thing to check: Remove and clean the check valve thoroughly. Good ideal to try and thoroughly drain tank also.

VicF

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/18/2019
So i guess an admin combined the threads. But anyway the check valve is fine. I just soaked and cleaned it.

26kracing

Registered
Look for a collector in your area to help you these things are a pain sometimes I run about 25 Hercules but I find the 3 and larger are easier to run