• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Economy With Mill

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
I bought this mill and with engines and hauled the first one home yesterday. I believe the engine is an Economy. It's been converted to spark plug and carburetor. I think this machine is for splitting fence rails but the previous owner modified it for some other purpose. I was told that he made gates for split rail fence. There are 3 other machines that I need to pull out of the barn. There are 2 more engines, a Fairbanks morse model h and a David Bradley.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
Re: Economy with mill

HI Mark,

Congratulations. The engine is an Economy and looks to be a 5 HP Model E. it is probably an earlier one because is has the flywheels with the counter weight added to the flywheel rim. later ones had a hollowed out area on the inside of the flywheel rim.

Your engine could of been equipped with a battery ignitor or most likely a Webster set up.

Looks like you will be looking for a carbureter/milxer as well. They are relatively easy to find or you could substitute a Lunknheimer or equivalent mixer.

Joel

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020

Joel to be honest I may leave it the way it is, he made the trip using the fuel pump linkage and I think it's pretty Cool job.
After further inspection I guess he made the linkage, as far as I know they didn't have a fuel pump.

Last edited:

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020

Some of those old "field modifications" are interesting. I have generally repaired them but now looking back I wish I would have kept some of those unique ones on my engines. I looked a little closer at the picture and your Engine is definitely a battery igniter engine. It has the battery ignitor trip and a priming Cup on the side of the cylinder.

Last edited:

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
I got the other engines and the other machine home, I have no clue what it was used for and neither did the guy who sold it to me. The FM H was also converted to spark plug and carburetor and the David Bradley is in pretty good shape. I think the H will be my winter project.

Attachments