• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Edison 15KW Bipolar Dynamo

roscoepug

Registered
Steve V, these are some examples of what should be on the headboard of your machine, which was known as a No7 in the Bergmann catalogs. Some of the later ones used the rounded edge wood base of the No3 surface mount key-less socket. These are quote scarce and many that you see have replica made wood bases, as the socket metal parts are not really hard to find, only the base differs. The 3rd one from the left in the pic is a prototype from the Ford museum collection (tag removed for this pic) and the 4th is a very late Edison General Electric with porcelain base (Though late Bergmann catalogs list a porcelain base option).

I have been working with a friend to properly CNC cut the wood bases with dimensions taken from one of my originals. I have not had much spare tome to spend on it. Many of these out there are "replicated" to turn C&C utility motors into C&C fans (far more fans are now out there that started life as a utility motor than a fan), and they get them very wrong. Wrong proportion, way wrong on the wire exit grooves, and biggest thing is wrong direction of grain. The grain must go in the as if these were started from plugs cut from a sheet of wood, NOT tuned as a dowel. When these are finished, they will have an "R" deeply branded into the underside so that they cannot be passed as an original.

Attachments

Steve V.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/04/2020
Steve V, these are some examples of what should be on the headboard of your machine, which was known as a No7 in the Bergmann catalogs. Some of the later ones used the rounded edge wood base of the No3 surface mount key-less socket. These are quote scarce and many that you see have replica made wood bases, as the socket metal parts are not really hard to find, only the base differs. The 3rd one from the left in the pic is a prototype from the Ford museum collection (tag removed for this pic) and the 4th is a very late Edison General Electric with porcelain base (Though late Bergmann catalogs list a porcelain base option).

I have been working with a friend to properly CNC cut the wood bases with dimensions taken from one of my originals. I have not had much spare tome to spend on it. Many of these out there are "replicated" to turn C&C utility motors into C&C fans (far more fans are now out there that started life as a utility motor than a fan), and they get them very wrong. Wrong proportion, way wrong on the wire exit grooves, and biggest thing is wrong direction of grain. The grain must go in the as if these were started from plugs cut from a sheet of wood, NOT tuned as a dowel. When these are finished, they will have an "R" deeply branded into the underside so that they cannot be passed as an original.
Roscoepug.
Thanks for the pictures. I will need a base and a socket to restore mine, if you will have a spare one. Let me know. Thanks for posting the pictures.
If you know how to get a hold of "ottoengineman" I would like to contact him to ask some questions.
Steve V.

roscoepug

Registered
Roscoepug.
Thanks for the pictures. I will need a base and a socket to restore mine, if you will have a spare one. Let me know. Thanks for posting the pictures.
If you know how to get a hold of "ottoengineman" I would like to contact him to ask some questions.
Steve V.
Steve,

I can help you make a replica base with some dimensional drawings, until the replicas I am having CNC made very accurately are completed. The socket I should be able to get you one of. I may have I can spare. The standard base will come off of the socket and mount to the wood base. I can probably help you with any other questions you have on the dynamo. I have studied the history and minutiae of Edison dynamos perhaps more deeply than anyone in the collecting circle, along with owning/owned several examples covering several era's. I have plenty of reference material as well including Edison Machine Works, Edison GE and GE Co (like yours) era original installation, setup and operation guidebooks as well as catalog breakdowns showing all parts and variants. Send me an email at cmshapiro@me.com at your convenience and I am sure I can help with anything you may need.

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Roscoepug.
Steve V.
I am in Sri Lanka since late September at our winter home and do not plan on being back to States until mid May. There is nothing i can do to help until i return home.. You are more then welcome to come and pay me a visit to see it upon our return if you wish. I also can provide you with a correct socket as needed FOC too if you like... We are hunkered down and hiding from the virus in the indian ocean sunshine...:)

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Outstanding, it gives.me hope that there are folks still saving what they can of the examples of how we got to where we are for others to enjoy.
Edison Dynamos for the most part are far from rare as there is literally 100's of them around, however if you are the owner of a 1880 Long Waisted MaryAnn like DM in Texas owns then you have a serious Edison....

OttoEngineMan

Registered
One day if we ever stay put in the summer residence long enough i plan to couple my OTTO Gas Engine to the Edison..Here is what original paint looks like on a early Gas Engine with majority of pinstripping still intact..Very and i mean rarely with you ever see a early gas engine like this with this amount of original paint..

Attachments

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Picked this up last June in Union, Illinois out of the back of a guys car that was just about to take it inside and put it on his table to sell. Has cast bronze base painted black.
8BF594B6-9874-4B19-A727-CF226C23C662_1_105_c.jpeg8BF594B6-9874-4B19-A727-CF226C23C662_1_105_c.jpeg

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Here is a old edison slow speed motor you will not see to many of around. Compliments of Ebay a couple years ago for a Buy it now..I went and personally drove to Bethesda MD to pick it up so would not get damaged or someone try to offer him more for it..:)

EC741F19-6EA1-4816-B746-F6FADA36D53E_1_105_c.jpegEC741F19-6EA1-4816-B746-F6FADA36D53E_1_105_c.jpegEC741F19-6EA1-4816-B746-F6FADA36D53E_1_105_c.jpeg

roscoepug

Registered
Lies lies lies. The .5KW Edison was purchased from Luke at Coolspring a year before the last Union show. It was offered to me a few weeks prior and I passed on it due to its condition and the brush holders being incorrect.

The Slo Speed motor you posted right on this forum last year stating that it was purchased at an auction in Sri Lanka, now the new story is that it was MD (how convenient!). Which is it? You don't even have this motor anymore, Chad Baker is offering it for sale here from a collection that you sold it to years ago: https://antiquefanparts.com/early-e...2th-hp-slow-speed-motor-bipolar-fan-brass-ge/

The iron clad fan? You know you got that on a BIN on ebay (not for a "snagger" price!) and then traded it to Gene.

I can assume this is all an attempt now, since you have turned this into a "Jerry Westlick brags about his Edisonia thread" to rub things in my face that I missed out on. Everyone in every collecting field you have ever haunted knows that you are a constant liar. Why not just be a decent and honest person? You could have done so well and have been well liked if you were just a nice guy. We all make choices in life, some you just can not undo.

Attachments

Last edited:

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Lies lies lies. The .5KW Edison was purchased from Luke at Coolspring a year before the last Union show. It was offered to me a few weeks prior and I passed on it due to its condition and the brush holders being incorrect.

The Slo Speed motor you posted right on this forum last year stating that it was purchased at an auction in Sri Lanka, now the new story is that it was MD (how convenient!). Which is it? You don't even have this motor anymore, Chad Baker is offering it for sale here from a collection that you sold it to years ago: https://antiquefanparts.com/early-e...2th-hp-slow-speed-motor-bipolar-fan-brass-ge/

The iron clad fan? You know you got that on a BIN on ebay (not for a "snagger" price!) and then traded it to Gene.

I can assume this is all an attempt now, since you have turned this into a "Jerry Westlick brags about his Edisonia thread" to rub things in my face that I missed out on. Everyone in every collecting field you have ever haunted knows that you are a constant liar. Why not just be a decent and honest person? You could have done so well and have been well liked if you were just a nice guy. We all make choices in life, some you just can not undo.
Chad Shipario just like when you were warned about a law suit for other accusations, you better be careful again. Surely you remember I had to call your father and warn him about the slander you posed before over a lightbulb collection..? Even at Union I warned you to stand back and away from me and you still have not yet learned...

roscoepug

Registered
Chad Shipario just like when you were warned about a law suit for other accusations, you better be careful again. Surely you remember I had to call your father and warn him about the slander you posed before over a lightbulb collection..? Even at Union I warned you to stand back and away from me and you still have not yet learned...
Also all lies and made up.... you never (nor anyone ever) ever threatened or motioned to sue me, I was a minor anyway back when you were bullying me back in the late 90’s. You never called my father. Everything I have ever stated was factual, so go ahead, please file suit. At Union last year you just said “hi” when I said hi, you appeared shocked and uncomfortable to see me there. I was polite and professional, you were rude as one would expect. And it’s Shapiro.....

OttoEngineMan

Registered
Also all lies and made up.... you never (nor anyone ever) ever threatened or motioned to sue me, I was a minor anyway back when you were bullying me back in the late 90’s. You never called my father. Everything I have ever stated was factual, so go ahead, please file suit. At Union last year you just said “hi” when I said hi, you appeared shocked and uncomfortable to see me there. I was polite and professional, you were rude as one would expect. And it’s Shapiro.....
William Anderson had warned you as did I and I did call Bill Shaprio to have to not bother and stay away from me. You were a mouth and continue to be so as it appears here. Union I told KL to have you stay away from me and I also never would have spoken a word to you anyways. This thread was started about a 15kw Edison Dynamo and not your cry baby BS ..