Electric Winch for Trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Claremont

I am looking for a 12v winch for my trailer. There are lots of them out there, at any price level.

My question is, are there any that are NOT freewheeling in reverse? Since my engines are on carts, I don't want to just freewheel them down the ramp of the trailer. I basically want the winch to operate in reverse, keeping tension on the cable as I slowly lower the cart down the ramp.

Anyone have any specific suggestions for a winch that will do what I need?

E

economy bob

TIM, I HAVE AND USE A WHINCH WITH POWER OUT. I GOT IT FROM "NORTHERN TOOL" IT WILL PULL UP ANY THING I CAN ATTACH WITH IT'S 40,000 BL PULL. IT IS SLOW BUT VERY SURE AND HAS PLENTY OF CABLE. IT IS NOT CHEAP! ($300.00) BUT I FEEL COMFORTABLE W/UN AND LOADING MY 5HP AND 6HP ECONOMYS ON CARTS.

WWW.NORTHERNTOOL.COM OR 1-800-533-5545

MY WHINCH MODEL NUMBER IS ITEM #142940-C169

E

enginenut

i have a 1500 lb winch, pd $150... i was told by another engine collector. he bought the same winch for $89.. now if he is pullig my leg, i do not know... it came from farm and country...or was it home and farm,, some thing like that...i can pull loads up ramps, and i can go down, it works nice and easy.. not real rough and jerky. my set up is on my truck stake pockets... make sure you use 10 gauge wire,, this is using a 50 amp circut breaker

M

Marty

Tim, I got an electric winch (12 v.) from ebay, ($59 new) 3000 lb. pull. It is typical of so many winches in that it freewheels in reverse. After pulling the truck up on the tandem, I wanted to see what was gonna happen unloading. The gear reduction inside the winch is pretty high so it takes an awful lot of weight and awful steep ramps to make a load move at dangerous speeds. As the truck was rollong down, I had to control the speed since I was walking beside the truck with the door open to steer it down the ramps. To control the speed, I simply pushed the remote switch to "pull" every couple seconds. I had complete control in unloading that way. Just my 2 cents.

T

Tim Claremont

Thanks Marty. That is exactly what I was hoping to find out. Sounds like the same winch I am looking at, too.

B

Bill Hoitt

Tim I had a 8000# Ramsey, burnt that one up and found a Warner that I like much better, hope it hold out, it only freewheels when you throw the lever, outherwise it is under power for unloading and reloading.

A

allen lapage

I use a 5000lb super winch, with the remote cord. That way i can control the direction and feed from any place along the trailer. Now I do have a habbit of looking ahead too far sometimes. But when I have invested from 1 to 3 thousand dollars into a engine, that might weigh up to 2000lb I personaly would not feel safe with a bargan basment winch. When we pay as much as we do for these engines, then why is it so difficult to buy a quality winch to load them safley, for your sake and the sake of others arround you. Hospitals or law suits are not cheap either. A quality winch might just be very cost effective in the long run. Just my way of thinking.

T

Tim Claremont

I am not so sure that the inexpensive winch is not good enough for the job. A higher price is not always the better answer.

The ratings on the $100 - $150 winchs I have looked at are much higher than the weights of the engines. My heaviest rig is at the most 1500 lbs, and it is one wheels, so it would not be like I was dragging the thing.

Granted, I could pay through the nose for the latest buzz word brand name, but would that necessarilly get me a better / safer winch?

Maybe it would, and maybe it wouldn't. I have not investigated all the options yet.

B

Brian Triebner

I'm not an electrical expert but would it hurt to reverse the leads, that would power out yes ???? Brian

E

economy bob

tim, i had a $100.00 winch. just about the same as i use now. the problem was , no power out. i tried the bumping of the switch w/ poor results. what i found was that once i had a 1500lb truck over the ramps it got real heavy and wanted to roll too fast . also when pulling up ,it ran out of power on soft soil. when it rained my trucks dug in . i don't have this problem and i can use a snatch block also to double my efforts. just my thoughts after 2 years exp. might say i am a beginer. bob

A

allen lapage

TIM I am not trying to be a wise guy, but I will put my super winch up to any import winch of the same rating. In a back to back tug-o-war along with a 100.00 bill from each of party. Lets see how long those plastic or pot metal gears hold up. If everyone liked the same things I guess we would all have the kind of engines too.

T

Tim Claremont

Allen, there is no doubt in my mind that a difference in quality is apparent. My question has to do with where to draw the line.

How good is good enough?

For the last couple of months I have been using a hand winch. Other than having to turn the crank four billion times to load and unload, I can say from experience that it simply is not that big of a job for my particular engines.

But, if you look at the current gamut of winches out there, there is a staggering range of prices on winches that carry very similar ratings. Hence my confusion.

For the same 6,000 lb capacity, I can spend anywhere from 179 to 889 depending on the brand name. And because I can't touch and feel them, I can't discern a difference based solely on the specs.

D

Denny Foster

I use a 3000 lb capacity super winch on a reciever tube on the front of the trailer. I can take it off and use it elsewhere and it is not dedicated to the trailer. One issue that I have found of course rolling load is a lot less than trying to drag a skidded engine onto the trailer. My super winch has no provision for free wheel it is power out or in only, I believe the newer models have the free spool feature on them. I havent run across an engine I could not pull up (I have a 5X10 Trailer) but when the load increases so does the amperage requirements!

J

John Davidson

The Super Winch 4500 is the one to buy. A lot of my engine friends here in Wisconsin have them. Get one big enough because you never know when you will need that extra power. A year ago we moved my 35 HP 8500lb engine up a grade and up a ramp onto a trailer with 2 Super Winches with pulley blocks. Used 12 volt garder tractor batteries. Heres a tip. They give you 100 foot of cable but only 15 foot control wire. Cut the wire and put a grounded female plug at one end and a male grounded one on the other end. You then can use a 3 wire extension cord in the middle and you can get back and load and steer your engine on the trailer. Works for me. I even used the winch to pull a engine around the yard with a 50' cord in the middle. John D.

A

allen lapage

JOHN Ilike your idea of the plug in extension cord rather than a perminent extension like i have on mine. It dosent have to be very heavy either, as all it does is activate the solenoids. Thanks for the tip of the day. allen

P

Paul Hokanson

Tim: I use a Super Winch 4500 and have been using it for three Years. It Has power in and Power out, along with a 40 foot remote cable. I have pulled every thing from a 1 1/2 hp to 10 hp engines up on my trailer and also let them back of with absolutly no problems. The brake will hold on this winch on incline of the ramps or anywhere else. It also has a free wheel feature which you have to manually release and not with the remote, so it's highly unlikely that it would ever release otherwise. Check with Summit supply in Ohio for the best pricing. They also usually offer this winch with the 30ft remote cable. A friend of mine went the cheap way on winches last year and is now repairing his 5 hp Galloways that the winch didn't hold on the way down the ramp. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth Paul

F

Franz

Re Cost/Benefit Analisys

Lets see here, a good winch, with remote is going to cost a few hundred bucks. The co-pay on a trip to the Chyropractor will cost $20- A cheap winch will cost you less than $100- Co-pays to the Orthopedist cause you thought your body could hold back 800# of iron will cost you $$$$$. Well, at least you'll have plenty of time to work on the engine while you're on crutches. Parts to repair the engine you dropped/tipped will cost how much? The engine is worth how much? And you want to save a few bucks on the winch that will load and unload your prize posession? Get a real winch, or leave the engine bolted to the trailer!! By the way, winches are NOT for load binding going down the road.

T

Tim Claremont

Re: Re Cost/Benefit Analisys

Thanks for the gentle insult to my intelligence.

With that rationale, I should probably get new tires for the trailer, a larger set of safety chains, a couple dozen more tie down straps, a larger policy on my auto and life insurance plans, etc. etc.

I have been a consumer long enough to know that you do NOT always get more if you pay more. I am at the research stage, and trying to figure out why there is such a massive difference in prices when the specs read the same.

I am not naive enough to think that the specs tell the whole story, either. BUT, there has to be something I am missing between the winches that are UNDER $200 and the winches that are OVER $700 for the SAME SPECS.

With few exceptions, I have heard nothing but "Don't get a cheap one".

Fine, I can conceed that the generic $69.00 winch is not the way to go, but where do you draw the line? $200? $400? $700?

My current requirements are to winch a 1200 lb enigne/cart on large wheels onto and off of the trailer. When a "cheap" winch has a 6000 freakin' pound rating, how does a guy with very little experience with winches make a justification for spending four to six times the price???

Call me thick headed, but I am going to need a little bit more than "more expensive is always better".

J

John Davidson

I have seen a lot of winches mounted on trailers and way to male them theft proof. I mounted my super winch on a 1' X 12" 1/8" strap of steel. A hole on the other end with a bolt has a chain hook. I have a eye bolt in the front of the bed of the pickup if I want to load a engine on the truck. If I want to load the trailer, I throw a chain around the front steel of the trailer and load that way. As I said before moveing engine around the yard, I drive a stake and a chain around it, hook to the chain, hook up the battery and move it. Yesterday put a engine in the barn, tied the chain to a spot, hook up winch and battery and extension cord in the middle and pulled it right in the barn by myself. One other advantage with my system, I can unhook the winch and store in the storage bin of the motorhome or in the pickup truck so it don't walk away while the trailer is parked. Just my nickels worth. John D.

Status
Not open for further replies.