• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Electrion Power & Light 32 Volt Genset (Canadian Linderman)

harrone

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/26/2014
Hi Fellow restorers,

Last year I acquired an unusual little genset that was offered to me. It had a nice big brass maker plate on it that stated it was an Electrion made by the Canadian Linderman Co. Ltd. Woodstock, Ontario. When I first got it, I got straight onto the net to get info about it. I searched for hours and came up with 2 ads from 1934 and nothing else. One add had a small picture of the genset fully enclosed in a cabinet. The one I have has no such cabinet.

Has anyone heard of this genset and can point me to some technical info about the motor or generator.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

harrone

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/26/2014
Re: Electrion Genset

Not easily, its sitting high up on the pallet racking in my overcrowded shed. I'll see what I can do tomorrow morning to take a photo or two. Do you know something about this Genset?

The other ad I mentioned in my original post was just all text and it seems that a bit of it was lost during the OCR scanning process. Make of it what you will:

"Canadian Linderman Company Limited
Woodstock, Ontario

A Very Compact Lighting Plant

The Canadian Linderman Company Ltd., are now niac-
ins their 1,000 watt power and lighting plant "Electrion" on
the market. This is a self-contained 32 volt, electric generating unit,
battery type, which has a number of special features.
It is semi-automatic or full automatic as required, and as the
reproduction indicates, is enclosed in a metallic case which is
(lii.il proof and practically weather-proof. A feature that the
Linderman company considers exceedingly valuable is what
they call the "control case." This includes all the vital electric
apparatus in the plant, combined in one removable unit.
This complete unit slides in and out like a table drawer, and
should there be any failure in the operation of the plant it
is almost certain to be in this control case. On account of
the ease with which this case can be removed it is taken out
and replaced by another, which the dealer carries in stock.
while the injured case is being repaired. The generator is
of the compound wound type; the bearings are S. K. V.
double row, self-aligning; the magneto is the Dixie, and the
splash system of oiling is used. The motor is 25 horse-power
actual rating. Another attractive feature of this plant
is a specially made cabinet which not only keeps the battery
clean, but is itself an attractive piece of furniture. The same
company manufacture a 110 volt full automatic 1000 watt
capacity machine. The dimensions of the electrion case are
as follows: height, 29 inches; width, 30 inches; length. 2S
inches; weight, 4.j0 lbs., or when crated 520 lbs. These
lisures apply to all types. "

I'd tend to think that it should read 2.5 horse-power.

Cheers

Mark

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019

The reason I ask for a picture. Some companies sold units built by others,just put their name on them. Some were built by companies that went under or merged with others. A picture would help to figure out what you have. Most likely it is a rare one.

harrone

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/26/2014

Here's one more photo that gives a sense of size compared to an IHC 1.5hp M type.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

Last edited:

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Re: Electrion Genset (Canadian Linderman)

Nothing like I have ever seen. I will see what I can find.

harrone

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/26/2014

It wasn't seized when I got it. As it was originally sold enclosed in a metal case, it makes it difficult to know what the missing carby looked like or what model Dixie magy was on it.

---------- Post added at 01:40:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34:00 AM ----------

Thanks Tim B, at least I now know that it had a Bennett type carby whatever that is.

harrone

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/26/2014

Hi All, It's been over 12 months since I attempted to get info about my Linderman 32 volt genset. Believe it or not, I purchased a second one of these mysterious gensets and this latest one is almost complete except for the switchboard.

It also showed me how much was missing from the first one.
This included
>the electric governor,
>the strange little carby,
>the fuel pump,
>the switchboard mounting brackets,
>the sump sight glass,
>the generator top cover
and the magneto

There must be someone out there that has one of these gensets in their collection or knows of someone who has one?

It would be great to get access to an instruction manual.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

Dennis Craft

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2018

Mark, thanks for sharing your photos. I would bet that these units had covers over them at one time. I base this on the design of the base and the fillet around the top of the base designed for something to rest there. I'm glad that you were able to save these units. I hope you can find literature for them and restore them. Rgds, Dennis

Newoldstock

Registered

The reason I ask for a picture. Some companies sold units built by others,just put their name on them. Some were built by companies that went under or merged with others. A picture would help to figure out what you have. Most likely it is a rare one.
Before the free trade ear there were many companies in Canada that made stuff other than auto parts....

I had a drill press made by Canadian Blower and Forge, but to an American eye it looks an awful lot like a Buffalo.
Nearly identical but made under license or in some cases a copy.
I have a friend In Georgia that has a Desjardins stationary engine made in Quebec that he shows.
Most people see it and ask why it has an unfamiliar name.
There used to be branch plants that made things for markets outside the US or privately held companies with the rights to manufacture products for sale only in Canada. ( most Coleman lanterns outside the USA are Canadian or Canadian parts kits until the factory closed in 1990. Or McLaughlin cars that later became GM of Canada )

These trade restrictions meant we had our own stuff that was sort of like American, sometimes contained US parts but was made here.

Ram II tank from WW2.
See the family resemblance to a US tank of the era?
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Ram_Tank_CFB_Borden_2009_4.jpg&f=1
Fargo truck, not Dodge.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4019/4490143842_a808cf2a2c_z.jpg

Now we have Walmart too and nothing is made in Canada.

---------- Post added at 11:54:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40:43 PM ----------

There must be someone out there that has one of these gensets in their collection or knows of someone who has one?

It would be great to get access to an instruction manual.

Cheers

Mark
Most US branch plants began to close after 1990.
a lot of them destroyed records and scrapped tooling when they shifted production out ( sometimes sent it to China or Mexico where labour was cheaper )
Coleman can not tell you a thing about a lantern assembled in Australia for example...
The parts were Canadian and all the records destroyed when the plants ( in both our countries ) closed, even for something that was never made anyplace else like type 335.

The probability of finding any information on a really old Canadian made delco type plant is almost nil unless you can find a US version ( like for a Johnson Iron horse plant ).
No one thought it was important I guess...

Put the shoe on the other foot and ask someone here if they know what a Holden was.