• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Electrolysis

bench

Registered
Do I need a special type of battery charger to do my electrolysis?
My charger does not seem to be working it does not produce any bubbles or movement in the water.

kwfiggatt

Registered
Do I need a special type of battery charger to do my electrolysis?
My charger does not seem to be working it does not produce any bubbles or movement in the water.
You need to make sure you have voltage at the output terminals of the battery charger - measure them with a meter. Some of the newer chargers won't turn on unless it senses a voltage already applied to the leads. This is a real pain when trying to charge a dead flat battery, or in your case, use the charger as a DC power supply. The reason for this is to prevent sparking of the leads when connecting to the battery and possibly creating a hydrogen explosion from the gases coming out of the battery..

If you have a spare 12v battery, you can hook the charger up to the battery then hook the battery up to the electrolysis cell. The charger will keep the battery topped off while doing electrolysis.

Kevin

Scotty 2

Registered
I use an old solar panel off a house. They're usually thrown away and they give out some nice current. Free rust removal.
If using a battery charger, best use an old school charger. The smart chargers are too smart for this old school stuff.

forney00c

Registered
Kevin,

I assume you connect the battery in parallel.

Martin
This is how I've overcome the stupid "smart" charger I have. Connect the battery in parallel so the charger sees it and puts out a charge. The only issue with my charger is it will only charge for a 24 hour period, after which it shuts off and lets the battery provide all the power to the tank until it's dead. If I don't catch it in time, I'm not able to charge the dead battery by itself and I have to connect another battery in parallel to charge the dead battery. :spew:

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
Your charge needs to say Manual. Not automatic. I had to buy a new one because I had an automatic. It kept shutting off. Not sure if it is the same problem as the type which will not come on at all if battery is dead. My automatic came on, but would not stay on. I had another charger that I thought was bad because it would not charge a dead battery.

I am constantly cleaning my sacrificial electrodes, it quits working when they get corroded.

I have used stainless and it did not rot away like the steel. Also was far easier to clean off. But they claim it gives off toxic chromium? that is poisonous to water and ground when one dumps his solution. Never breathe the fumes no matter what as it makes hydrogen.

Also keep checking hook ups.

davob

Registered
A carbon rod makes the best electrode. The crud just falls off it.
Hey Scotty,
When you say carbon rod are talking about arc gouging rods/carbons or something different? If they're gouging carbons I can get some easy enough so might just give it a go.
I've always just repurposed bits of scrap steel from the scrap bin and toss it when the gunge builds up an drop a new bit in.

Scotty 2

Registered
As long as it's carbon with no outside coating then go for it. Try it out.
If I remember though, gouging rods generally have a copper coating haven't they? Still, try them out.