• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

electronic buzz coil or ignition?

G

grant31781

Does anyone sell a electronic buzz coil or ignition system? or does any one have plans for a simple one that i can build? I looked at jerry howells website but he only sells the kits. My engine is using point/ condensor and I dont like the setup.

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
Re: electronic buzz coil or ingnition??

grant,what type of engine are you using points/condensor ? some engines are real easy to set up and others **********-chuck

G

grant31781

Its a very rigged up homelite 25cc leaf blower engine with about a 8 pound wheel attached to it. I am using a GM points and condenser set and a 6 volt VW coil. I am using a 12v 3 amp battery charger to power it. The points look pitted and i am getting weak sparks. When i 1st put the points on i was getting a hot spark. i am trying to run it in propane. I did have a few good slow runs butit will barely fire now. its a very rigged up points setup. i was even suprised it worked but it did. There is a nice blue spark each time the points open and close. i have the ground coming from the coil to the condenser then the points. SO now i want to go with a electronic setup since the points only lasted a few days.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017

grant31781 said:
There is a nice blue spark each time the points open and close. i have the ground coming from the coil to the condenser then the points. SO now i want to go with a electronic setup since the points only lasted a few days.
I used to sell just what you need, an electronic ignition module for one and two-lungers. Got tired of losing money so I quit!:D

It's kinda hard to get points to work on a real slow engine because they don't open fast enough to keep from arcing. What happens is that when the points begin to open, the voltage rises and forms an arc in the small gap. This also causes the spark to be weak because it "quenches" the damped oscillation in the coil.

It wouldn't take too much for someone "versed in the trade" to come up with a circuit that had a couple of transistors, a diode or two, etc. including a high energy one like the horizontal output transistor used in a picture tube TeeVee.

If you could change the points so they close at the point of firing, you could just use something like a Ford buzz coil or one of the relay-type "buzz" coil drivers for a regular auto coil.

Hope this helped some.....

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017

kerogas said:
WHat exactly are you looking for ? Buzzcoils and electronic ignition are not mutually exclusive , but still very different . This is a killer buzzcoil for next to nothin' .

http://royalcrossfarm.com/BOZZCOIL.htm
I'd go with that one. The price is right and it is simple. The only thing is that you will need to arrange your points so they close at the time of firing instead of opening.

Trying to design a transistor version could be problematic and not something you'd want to do unless you were well versed in transistor circuitry.

Presently, I can't think of anyone who makes a solid-state ignition specifically for flywheel engines so the relay-type buzz coil is most likely your best bet.

Good luck and take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand

G

grant31781

Ok this is getting bad. I tried to buzz coil using the relay and it doesnt work. The relay buzzes but the coil doesnt spark. Any idaes? Its a 6 volt vw coil. Using a 12v power supply.

kerogas

Registered

Rick , my dear friend , that is the ubiquitous Bosch 30 amp universal relay .

If you hooked it all up like the picures says AND it buzzes BUT it doesnt spark , I 'd go dig for a new condensor first .........and probly test the coil . If you run a 6v coil on 12 it burn up the points real fast . If it turns out it is a good 6 volt coil it will need a resistor .

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017

grant31781 said:
Ok this is getting bad. I tried to buzz coil using the relay and it doesnt work. The relay buzzes but the coil doesnt spark. Any idaes? Its a 6 volt vw coil. Using a 12v power supply.
Here's a really sloppy schematic with part numbers for what should work as a relay-type buzzcoil circuit.

The parts are available from Mouser Electronics (800) 346-6873. Many other relay types will work.

Crude but free!:D

Take care - Elden

Attachments

Rick Strobel

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2011

kerogas said:
Rick , my dear friend , that is the ubiquitous Bosch 30 amp universal relay .

MY BAD....RTFQ...Rick

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020

i have read all of the post on grants question about a buzz coil or ingnition? all the answers are correct,but one must digress why are you putting a $500 saddle on a $50.00 horse? grant said it's a rigged up homelite 25cc leaf blower? grant i would think if you would go to some flea markets you would find all the leaf blowers you could ever use.if not post a want add on harry's site and get the parts you need.i am not trying to be mean but home lite are commom products found every were.i it's something you want to do so be it good luck-.ps i have several homelite chain saws if the parts are the same let me know and i'll send them to you.-chuck

G

grant31781

one must digress why are you putting a $500 saddle on a $50.00 horse?
Because it makes the cheap horse ride better.;)

Alright. The leaf blower engine was free. I use these on model airplanes also. A friend gave me 4 broken leaf blowers and weedeaters for free. All have the same 25cc 2 stroke.

What i did was mount the engine to a plywood plate and rigged a 8 lb steel wheel to the crank shaft. Then i took the stock magneto off and rigged up so gm car points and a vw 6 volt coil so the engine could run slow and start easy by hand. The engine runs real slow probably 300 to 500 rpms with a nice putt---putt---putt sound and a clank clank clank sound from the points driver. I also removed the carb and fitted a brass tube into the intake so i can run it on propane. It runs so slow that it only gets warm to my hand after a 5 min run.

So far i think i have the points burn probelm fixed ( I think). I took a 77 ford mustang 2 headlight/ interior light dimmer switch the turn kind also know as a variable resistor. I turned it all the way up. With this on the neg side i cut the amps back enough to stop the points from arcing while keeping the spark hot.

This is somewaht a poor mans hit and miss engine LOL.:D

The idea came from this:
http://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/Maier_Butane_Powered_Model_Engines.html

These engine are a bit pricey for what you get IMHO.

What do you guys thing? I will get a picture of it soon.

Thanks for the help,
Grant

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020

well,grant you sure are a mlie ahead of me on leaf blowers.if you would of posted what you are trying to do at the start most of us would of thought that's really neat what grant's doing,please post some pictures.ps i have a horse but no saddle take care chuck

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

sounds neat! If you are running it on propane, what are you doing for lubrication?:confused:
Andrew:D

G

grant31781

I will get some pics soon. The lube issue doesnt seem to be a problem at the low rpm and low heat the engine produces. But for lube every so many runs i will squirt model airplane afterrun oil into the intake port so it will get some oil down into the bearings. it smokes like mad when it fires up with the oil though. I think slick 50 would do the trick if they still make it. I saw a car engine running on slick 50 without a oil pan or rocker covers. I took the carb and muffler off. The piston ring still has some oil on it in the exhaust port so it seems to be holding some of the oil. i chose to run it on propane so it wouldnt stink up the shop. it also makes it easier to run at a low rpm since the fuel is already a vapor. i original ran it on 50:1 2 stoke gas mix then 10% modle airplane fuel and finally propane.

KeithW

Registered

I've got a couple of old weed eater motors. Sounds like a good use for them.

keithw

G'DAY Grant
The one thing in your story i have noticed is that you have a 6v coil,and your power supply is 12volts,well that will fry your points pretty slick.I used to have an 8hp famous with a wico trip maggy jerry rigged for sparks,when the maggy died i hooked up a 12v ign coil to the wico points and condencer,it worked like a charm at low revs 150 or less.Your little hiroshima screamer would run at a reasonable rate of knotts with the ign at crankshaft speed so i don't see that it won't work.Mind you,you need to have a sharp an angle where your points break as possible.So my advice is to try a the right voltage coil/batteries.
Best of luck with your $50 horse if you get $ 500 worth of fun out of it,go for it Regards Phillip