• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Elgin Comet Restored Video

RobGill2008

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/16/2016
Dad just put the finishing touches on his Elgin Comet engine and wanted to share this video with ya'll.

vern0n

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2013
I didn't see any smoke come out the muffler. What's up with that?

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
A two cycle engine doesn't have to smoke like a tar kiln. :p :eek: :bonk:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
No, it doesn't, but I hope he is putting enough oil in the fuel! I see grease cups on the crank mains, but see no direct oil line or grease cup for lubricating the crankpin bearing. The piston has a direct oiling oiler on the cylinder, but I do not know if there is a provision for oiling the crankpin from there. The set up is similar to a Detroit Engine Works, but the Detroit uses a 2 post oiler - one side for the piston and the other side for a slinger for the crankpin. Even though the Detroit does not use oil in the fuel, it still smokes a bit. No smoke at all ususlly means trouble for a 2 stroke, especially for a vintage engine. I noted that the engine in the video was running slower and slower, as it ran - getting tight from lack of oil?:eek: perhaps the owner can chime in and clue us in on oiling provisions.:confused:
Andrew:)

wstendken

Registered
Piston rod on my parcelle has hole going down to crank pin. Anybody have any idea what it's worth? Mine a little newer. Has a chain driven magneto. Not original. Thanks Wstendken