• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Emerson Brantingham Grain Drill

Kent McMakin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/05/2019
Recently picked up this well preserved EB grain drill. I believe it was on the same farm since new and showed minimal use. I was wanting to preserve this drill, and not restore it. Far to nice of an original to screw up. This winter I began to completely disassemble it as far as possible. Using just water to clean the wood, and simply wire brushing the metal parts to get the loose rust off, I followed up with a coat of Penetrol. Was amazed at the results of the grain box as to what was hiding under 90-100 years of dirt and dust. Starting on the metal parts now. A lot of the moving parts are caked with that petrified grease/dirt mix so I'm hoping to find more red paint. Will post more pics when done.

Attachments

Family Tradition

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
Absolutely stunning! I so appreciate it when someone takes the time to preserve the machinery of the past. There’s always someone preserving the tractors and the engines and that’s great but only occasionally does one find somebody like you that’s willing to put forth the time and effort to preserve a piece that many would let rot away as “yard art”. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the completed project! Best wishes

Kent McMakin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/05/2019
Thought I'd do a bit of an update on the EB drill. Completely disassembled everything on the frame and workings. Surprised how much original paint was hiding under all of the layers of oil, grease and dirt. Cleaned everything including the hardware before putting everything back together again. I'm finding it is actually LESS work to do this with the idea of preserving it, rather than restoring it. No blasting, priming and painting. Lot cheaper too. Finding that PB Blaster cuts thru that crud better than any solvent I've used so far. One coat of Penetrol and assemble. Very gratifying doing a nice original piece like this.

Attachments