• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Emerson Brantingham Grain Drill

Kent McMakin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/05/2019
Recently picked up this well preserved EB grain drill. I believe it was on the same farm since new and showed minimal use. I was wanting to preserve this drill, and not restore it. Far to nice of an original to screw up. This winter I began to completely disassemble it as far as possible. Using just water to clean the wood, and simply wire brushing the metal parts to get the loose rust off, I followed up with a coat of Penetrol. Was amazed at the results of the grain box as to what was hiding under 90-100 years of dirt and dust. Starting on the metal parts now. A lot of the moving parts are caked with that petrified grease/dirt mix so I'm hoping to find more red paint. Will post more pics when done.

Attachments

Family Tradition

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2019
Absolutely stunning! I so appreciate it when someone takes the time to preserve the machinery of the past. There’s always someone preserving the tractors and the engines and that’s great but only occasionally does one find somebody like you that’s willing to put forth the time and effort to preserve a piece that many would let rot away as “yard art”. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the completed project! Best wishes