• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Emerson Brantingham

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2020
A friend of mine over in Wexford Ireland is helping another friend work on a Emerson Brantingham. I have never worked on one of these engines so I hoping maybe someone else might could help. Below is a copy of his email and a few photos. If someone could post a photo of what this part looks like it really would be helpful.

Hello John,
First of all a very happy New Year to you all.
I called out to see a friend today and he asked me some questions about an Emerson Brantingham engine he is trying to put together. It is an engine that his late father had on the farm for many years.
The flywheels are removed at present see photo no 2174a
the photo no 2180a shows the shaft for operating the pump.
Picture no 2188a shows the type. (U) and Horse Power (4)
Picture no 2190a shows the information written out on a sheet.
Picture 2192a shows the trip magneto and cylinder head etc. etc
Picture no 2194a shows Cam wheel but can you tell us what goes on to the shaft marked in the red circle. We feel that this part may be missing.

Any help or photo's in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Attachments

Gasengn

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/01/2009
The detent blade on the long rocker arm goes where the red circle is.

Gasengn

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/01/2009
That part above the red circle is the detent, but the lower part is gone.

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2020
I don't see no part above the red circle with a detent. All I see is a spring and a arm. No detent on the arm.

Sam Polend

Registered
Hello John,

I have a 3 hp EB that's throttle governed that looks similar based on what I can see of the Carb. Of course if it's a throttle goverened engine it won't have the latch on the rear of the rockerarm as the hit and miss units. I take it, he has the trip rod / for the igniter that connects to the rocker arm (head end)? If you have another picture of the carb that would help.

Take care and good luck, Sam

Gasengn

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/01/2009
I have a 1 /2 HP model U that I could take some pictures of the area in question if needed.

Steve Barr

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/09/2014
On a 4hp U Throttler, there should be nothing at the back end of the long rocker arm. If it had been a hit and miss, the lockout would mount there. (information based on a friend's catalog as I cannot find mine currently) Both the 4hp H&M and throttlers shared the same part for the Long Rocker Arm.

Very Cool engine to have.

Please let me know when I can make some space in the shed for it to arrive :p

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2020
I received another photo and added to the group above. It does appear the engine is a throttle governed engine. If anyone has a engine like this and could take some photos from all four sides it would be really helpful to my friend.

Thank you all for your help.

P.S......Steve make room in your shop it will be there any day now. :p If for some reason it should not arrive then you will have extra room in the shop.;)

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2020
Can anyone tell us about what year this Emerson & Brantingham engine is? serial number (17503). or is there a website with a registry? ;)

Steve Barr

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/09/2014
CH Wendell states that by 1918, the U Throttlers were being produced.

One site with some Emerson Enfo is:
http://bailifffamily.com/oldiron/oldiron.htm

There is another U SN 17112 that is pictured (page 2 under owners), but the pictures are not quite large enough, I don't know what HP it is, but looks smaller than a 4hp. The owner name is listed and their contact info is on Harry's Sponsor page.

There is another site out there that the link was posted in a previous post, but I am unable to access it here at work :rant: as work blocks many sites....

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2020
Thanks for the info steve this will help a lot. The engine was a basket case when he got it and they are putting it back together. ;)

John Brantingham

Registered
Hey John... I've just uploaded some stuff I have on the U's including the 4 HP gas and kerosene. There's also the parts list for the castings (the EC numbers). Also, for the carb'd kero engine, I'll get the ED casting list up for you tomorrow or so. I have several U's, but nothing this big. My only kero's are a couple of 3HP EV's. I know of a couple of parts engines, I'll check for ya.... Later....
From the "12" of snow, colder than !#@$, can't ride the Harley... Michigan!!
JOHN
http://www.geocities.com/oldharleydude@att.net/ebscanrequests.htm