Enfield Welding Machine.

Norton99

Hello,
First post. I have just acquired an Enfield welding machine. The engine is a boxer twin Diesel as shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48twGAKazgE
Specs are shown in Enfield 10.

The generator I am unsure about and any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated. The era would be 1950 - 1960s and the generator head would most likely be English, American or Australian. I would think DC only.

Attachments

bear67

Subscriber
Cute little bugger, but I have never seen one in the states. I grew up in welding and blacksmith shops and even have some pre war machines in the barn, but this is a new one on me.

Either the old machines welded better or I am getting so old, I just can't do what I once did laying down a bead. My wife says it tis the latter and covers a lot of ground other than welding.

cobbadog

Never mind bear67, what I used to do all night now takes all night to do !

Welcome to the Forum Norton99. Real nice set up and those Enfield engines run very well and being all alloy are nice and light. Most likely a Pommy gen set as the engine originates from there.
Have you had your engine running yet?

Norton99

Just got the engine turning over by bar today and freed up the de-compressor lever enough that it depresses but it wont turn yet.
The unit was bought from a steam ferry restoration project. The original owner was part of the project then went into a rest home.
It was parked against the fence,(1st photo),and left. During a yard cleanup the trust contacted his family and was told he had died but they could keep it. Being as there is now fancy new equipment and most welding is now done off-site it was find a good home or it would go to scrap.
I paid NZ$400 for it at auction,(one other bidder :mad: but the money went to the project) and spent another $70 on two tyres so US$300 all up which I am happy with.
The engine will take some work as it has been sitting outside for over 30 years and it is thought it last ran about 20 odd years ago.
That generator head has me stumped though.
Summer is here and I have a LOT of other work to do right now but if anyone has any ideas about it I would love to know.

Cheers,
Barry.

Norton99

Hello Cobbadog,
Yep, the Enfield is a good looker, almost tempted to polish it! When I get around to it I'll probably strip for a clean up and plastic blast everything and give it a coat of flat silver /Aluminium paint so it looks fresh and won't oxidise.
Engine origin means nothing here, bits were brought in from all over the world and machines assembled/made here because of the tax regime. The cousies across the ditch in Oz had a bigger consumer base and a lot more manufacturing so that is why I included them in the possible makers. When I was a boy I looked after weird stuff like a once steam roller powered by a Holden 149 and a Nuffield tractor drill rig running a Buick straight eight. Sort of whatever was at hand at the time.

cobbadog

While your still busy with other projects stick some auto transmission fluid dow the injector holes to help with freeing it up. Can't hurt and can only help in freeing things up a bit. Even try over filling the crankcase to get more oil up and around all the bearings but dont forget to drain out any excess before next trying to start.
We have made some odd stuff up to when a lot younger. No money and plenty of spares to attah together and make a noise and have fun.

Norton99

I use a 1:1:1 mix of ATF:Kerosene: Diesel sometimes with 10% Isopropyl Alcohol added for the really tough stuff of if water is present and that was the first thing I did. I'll just keep coaxing it slowly.

That odd stuff was government plant! The main workshops still had some line machines working just the overheads were electrically driven not steam. I'm not that old so shows how fast things have changed.