• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Engine Start Up

junkin

Registered
Before painting a engine, wanted to see if it would run. It has a mag with a ignitor, try it and didn't hit not one lick. Had in mind to wire a original National buzz coil because I know it hot. It has 3 terminals, BAT, COM & PLUG, drew a blank how I should wire it up using the normal open ignitor. All help would be appreciated, thanks.

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Re: Engine start up

You don't use a buzz coil with an ignitor, you should be using a plain coil.

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

No buzz coil, a low tension coil, and DO NOT RUN battery voltage through the mag!, unhook mag wire, once running ,if careful, hook mag wire back up it might run on it. To hook a low tension coil up , ground -of battery to engine frame, positive +side of battery to one side of coil, the other side of coil to the insulated post on igniter, or, where mag wire is hooked up, actually in series. Also most igniters and mags should be timed to igniter,, so it has the most juice when igniter snaps, which is when it fires, and has to snap fast to... Also most igniter and mag combos run with points always closed also to make the mag work right, and would keep the igniter points cleaner, IF they are closed all the time do not leave the battery and coil hooked up very long or you will fry the coil, and or have a fire when the coil or wires go poof in a ball of smoke....

Nick

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/18/2014

Wade if you want to borrow a proper low tension coil I have a few spares here.

You can always just use the LT side of the HT coil.

junkin

Registered

I disconnected the mag after it won't start on it, I will hook up a low tension coil.
Thank Rick

---------- Post added at 06:50:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46:57 PM ----------

I got one on the air cooled busy boy you seen at Mocksville, I will give it a try in the next couple days.
Hope you and the family is well!
Thanks Nick