• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Ericsson 6" hot air pumping engine

bmck

Registered
Here's my Reeco Ericsson engine, only just stripped it down and now time to find/make parts to put it back together completely....

The linkages are iron, is this unusual as most photos I see they are brass?

What size bore is the water pump as this is missing and I may need to make a new one if I cannot find one.

Any help or information much appreciated.....

Cheers, Bill

Attachments

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
Bill
It is my understanding when you bought A rider or ericsson engine from the factory .You sent info on how far below base of engine the water level was and how far horizontal from water supply .. How high you were pumping and gallons per min. needed... The factory would supply engine for this job. the extreme vertical height on the 6 inch was 75 feet this could have been with A 1 1/4 bore pump . The engine I have sitting here has A 1. 1/2 bore and A shallow well pump .....the 6 inch also came with A deep well pump that would be easy to make and use till you can find A shallow well pump or castings to build one . If you need help on this... E mail me and I will be glad to help Marv is correct this engine cold have came with steel linkage as that was what they used on latter models ..hope this helps ..
Buster

bmck

Registered
thank you for your input into my post, I have since been caught up with work but have been finding the odd bit of spare time working on the engine restoration, I have pulled the engine to pieces and now in the process of making/repairing parts, my latest query being on the length of the external rods that connect the transfer piston cross head to the bell crank, any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers Bill

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
Bill send me A email with what you want and size of engine I will try and get it this week Buster

bmck

Registered
20160508_182956.jpg

20160508_183130.jpg

20160508_183034.jpg

20160508_183222.jpg

Here is a few photos of my progress, slowly chipping away at it, tone to make a pump and new transfer/displacer piston.

bmck

Registered
20160713_203811.jpg
Fired it up for the first time tonight. Started after 10 min of lighting the fire. Small air leak on transfer piston rod but otherwise running smooth. Now onto making a water pump.....