• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Ethanol Quandary

Jeff S

Registered
I'm not a farmer but as I understand it if there hands weren't tied by Gov restrictions and they could export some of there crop they would probably not have to sell to ethanol plants. We do need clean air and an ozone layer its just all so damn complicated. What helps some hurts others, guess it will always be that way

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Are there pumps that say "no ethanol"? I don't think I have ever seen one. The oil companies use ethanol to improve the octane in their gasoline.
True, ethanol replaced the old octane boosting additive that supposedly caused cancer. Now days everything causes cancer. Heck California has a cancer warning on almost everything!! Here in Minnesota ethanol free gas is called non-oxygenated gasoline. I’m not sure what additive they are using but it isn’t ethanol.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I never have bought Stabil, Marvel Mystery oil, or Fresh Start to put into the gas on our engines. I just use gas with ethanol and it keeps the fuel systems cleaned out.

ramsay

Registered
The government doesn't sell corn to ethanol plants, farmers do. Oil companies have to use ethanol to blend with their gas because they can't use that nasty stuff "TBE" or whatever it was that caused cancer. Now that the price of crude oil has gone down a lot of ethanol plants are shutting down. When gas was high if it wasn't for ethanol the price of a gallon of gas would have been $1.00 higher. Ethanol plants have created a market for the farmers corn and has saved the taxpayer a lot of money. Watch next fall what the government will have to pay the farmer to subsidize the price of corn. The cities have to have cleaner air, we don't in the country

We don't have too many marinas in my part of the country, maybe that is why I haven't seen pumps that say "no ethanol".
Ethanol is made from corn right? Where does all the political activity start? IOWA....Another tick on the beaurocratic dog.... People who want money will support those who will give it to them.. Just follow the money.. Once you understand this concept, you are most of the way to the truth....

In Louisiana, you can buy non ethanol gas at many stations including Shell but the pump is marked " not a shell product"....Anytime you have government involved, you can expect trouble and that includes inside of the gas tank....Stay safe people.. Mike in Louisiana

Jeff S

Registered
I never have bought Stabil, Marvel Mystery oil, or Fresh Start to put into the gas on our engines. I just use gas with ethanol and it keeps the fuel systems cleaned out.
At some point you will especially if thay have to sit for awhile. Are you using high test it doesn't seem to cause as many problems?

miltruck

Registered
Originally MBTE and now ethanol are both used as an "oxygenator" as mandated by the US EPA for gasoline used in on road vehicles to lessen the production of certain air pollutants. MTBE was originally a waste product and was found to work very well as an oxygenator so as you would expect, the gas companies used it until it was found to be a really bad ground water pollutant due to the fact it goes into solution and travels through the ground with the natural ground water flows. So, in the EPA's wisdom, they were the cause of the MBTA pollution due to the mandated use of an "EPA approved" oxygenator additive!!

Ethanol made from corn is as good or maybe even better than the MBTE but at a much higher cost. The mandated use of an oxygenator in our gas has propped up the price of corn artificially, with the middle man (think Midland Daniels!!) making the money on its mandated use not the family farmer. Crony Capitalism at its finest. You can thank the Federal Government for the almost universal use of ethanol gas across the country and the added cost (payoff to Midland Daniels and the like) to pay for the additional ethanol!!

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
Has anyone tried separating the ethanol out by mixing water with the gas and letting it sit? The videos I have watched don't seem to recover all of the ethanol. It looks like on average they are recovering about 50% of the ethanol.
Back in the 80s this was a common test for determining alcohol content in fuel. One of the checks for vehicles with poor performance and no obvious problems. GM sent us this as an essential tool kit. Basically a couple graduated beakers.

Ken Karrow

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Hein
The government doesn't sell corn to ethanol plants, farmers do. Oil companies have to use ethanol to blend with their gas because they can't use that nasty stuff "TBE" or whatever it was that caused cancer. Now that the price of crude oil has gone down a lot of ethanol plants are shutting down. When gas was high if it wasn't for ethanol the price of a gallon of gas would have been $1.00 higher. Ethanol plants have created a market for the farmers corn and has saved the taxpayer a lot of money. Watch next fall what the government will have to pay the farmer to subsidize the price of corn. The cities have to have cleaner air, we don't in the country

We don't have too many marinas in my part of the country, maybe that is why I haven't seen pumps that say "no ethanol".
you live in Colorado so you won't see non ethanol gas. When I lived in CO could not find it either. Moved to MO and could find it 40 miles way. Now more stations carry it, now only 10 miles. Next time you at in Goodland, Garden City, or Colby do some checking. If any of them have a Casey's check there first. Another idea call small engine shops in any of those towns and ask. If it is available they will know. Ethanol free gas disappeared in CO when the politics there changed.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Ethanol is made from corn right? Where does all the political activity start? IOWA....Another tick on the beaurocratic dog.... People who want money will support those who will give it to them.. Just follow the money.. Once you understand this concept, you are most of the way to the truth....

In Louisiana, you can buy non ethanol gas at many stations including Shell but the pump is marked " not a shell product"....Anytime you have government involved, you can expect trouble and that includes inside of the gas tank....Stay safe people.. Mike in Louisiana
The reason Louisiana doesn't want ethanol is because of the oil industry down there. What do they use for oxygenated gas? The oil company and the ethanol industry are at a fight now. One wants 15% ethanol and the other wants none. I'll check the next time I am in Goodland, but I won't buy it, I like the way the ethanol keeps my carburetors clean.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
At some point you will especially if thay have to sit for awhile. Are you using high test it doesn't seem to cause as many problems?
We use a grain auger with a two cylinder Wisconsin engine and it works that engine for all it is worth. We are done with it and it will sit for six months before we use it again. It sits outside in the weather. We did drain the gas out of the tank but didn't drain the carburetor. We have a welder with a V-4 Wisconsin engine that hasn't been ran for six months and when we need it we will put fresh gas in it and crank it up. We don't use high test, just regular gas the gas man delivers.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
One problem we have with ethanol is it will boil quicker than gasoline. One day the UPS driver came walking into our place from our mailbox which is about 1/8th mile. Her vehicle quit her. It was a nice warm day in April and I told her maybe the ethanol in the gas may have boiled and the engine couldn't get gas. I took her back out to the vehicle and by that time it had cooled off and started and I told her to tell the guy that services it that it maybe the winter grade of gas they were using.

Another time my bil and sister took a trip to Az with a Chevy pickup with a big gas engine pulling a camper. Going up hill in the mountains his pickup acted like it wasn't getting gas. They e mailed me and said they thought they had to get a new fuel pump. I told them I thought the ethanol was boiling in the gas when they were working the engine going up hill. They went on and said it ran good down on the flat ground.

gdstew

Registered
One problem we have with ethanol is it will boil quicker than gasoline

I have had this problem in my 1930 Ford, cool morning, OK : hot afternoon, spit and sputter barely make it home. I always fill up with a known good gas at home, but if I'm on the road and need gas, I only put 1/2 tank in and hope it is OK. When I shut it off, I can hear the gas boiling in the bowl.

miltruck

Registered
You have to also remember that the ethanol component of the fuel has a lower fuel value (BTU per pound) than straight gas. This means that even with 10% ethanol mix, the engine is calling for more fuel to do the same work. In modern fuel injected engines this is not a problem as the computer takes that into account but in older carbureted engines, you have to manually change mixtures to compensate. This is why E10 and more so E85 fueled cars/trucks get worse fuel mileage. Thank you EPA.

ramsay

Registered
Are there pumps that say "no ethanol"? I don't think I have ever seen one. The oil companies use ethanol to improve the octane in their gasoline.
There are pumps that say "ethanol free" and no the oil companies put that crap in otherwise decent gasoline because the government mandates it for supposedly renewable fuel that we already have enough of .. The bottom line is that ethanol caters to farmers who keep re electing democrats.. Just another tick on a beaurocratic dog nothing more nothing less....Pure gas forever! Mike in Louisiana

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
There are pumps that say "ethanol free" and no the oil companies put that crap in otherwise decent gasoline because the government mandates it for supposedly renewable fuel that we already have enough of .. The bottom line is that ethanol caters to farmers who keep re electing democrats.. Just another tick on a beaurocratic dog nothing more nothing less....Pure gas forever! Mike in Louisiana
Do you know who got Trump elected? It wasn't the big cities. They don't put ethanol in gasoline for renewable fuel, they put it in for cleaner air and to make the gasoline better.

ramsay

Registered
Do you know who got Trump elected? It wasn't the big cities. They don't put ethanol in gasoline for renewable fuel, they put it in for cleaner air and to make the gasoline better.
Well if it is put in to make gas better I would hate to see it get worse.....The best day for all of us will be with they totally remove ethanol from gasoline so we can buy it anywhere and it won't destroy fuel systems on chain saws, outboards, generators, pumps, lawnmowers, tractors, etc etc ......

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
With the price of gasoline going down, the ethanol plants can't produce the ethanol cheap enough to compete with gasoline. The plants are shutting down. I don't know what they are going to do to get the gas to burn clean enough. The gas companies will have to pay more for ethanol to get them to produce it.

gdstew

Registered
I would like to see just how much fuel it costs us to use ethanol. If you figure in the farmer has to prepare his fields (fuel required) plants and cares for his crop (more fuel), then harvests it (more fuel), Then it is transported (fuel) to a plant ( which uses a fuel to operate) a plant that the workers all drive to ( ). After processed it is trucked ( ) to an oil company to be mixed with gas so we can have cleaner air and not have to depend upon buying more oil. So the amount of oil saved vs the amount of oil used? Then you have damage and lower mileage, but that's another topic!

TravisB

Registered
I do some work on small engines and my opinion is don't put ethanol in if you can help it. One, older engines have parts that won't tolerate it like anything rubber. I've even seen older fuel lines disintegrate from the inside out in the presence of ethanol. Two, like has been said ethanol attracts water, but it also separates from the gas so your "10%" blend may not be 10% after it has been in the stations tank for a bit. I know here in Iowa they only mark the pumps that have ethanol in them, but straight up is everywhere, just costs more.

ramsay

Registered
I do some work on small engines and my opinion is don't put ethanol in if you can help it. One, older engines have parts that won't tolerate it like anything rubber. I've even seen older fuel lines disintegrate from the inside out in the presence of ethanol. Two, like has been said ethanol attracts water, but it also separates from the gas so your "10%" blend may not be 10% after it has been in the stations tank for a bit. I know here in Iowa they only mark the pumps that have ethanol in them, but straight up is everywhere, just costs more.
Ethanol totally destroyed the rubber fuel line on my 2002 Cub Cadet.... Thankfully, I caught it and changed it out before more damage was done... Nothing but non ethanol mixed with marvel mystery oil and a bit of stabil is used now for ALL of my small engines period....Pure gas will last for better than two years... I have an old Gravely that sat with gas for over two years and it started second pull.....Stay safe everyone.. Mike in Louisiana