• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

DC Light Plants F-M 6kw cmpd wound 48a generator info?

FarmSC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2020
This tag is on a dc generator connected to a F-M 10hp diesel engine. Does anyone have any info on this gen? We want to see if she will produce, but everyone is kinda scared to hook up a battery and see what happens. There is one lead sticking out with a battery cable end on it. We assume this is for energizing the magnets to begin generation. On the other side there are 2 larger gauge cables without ends on them. I'm looking for a picture of the wiring, but haven't found it yet.
Thanks for any info,
Kevin

Attachments

Radiomike

Registered
A bit difficult to read the name plate with the reflected flash. I assume the cmpd in the title means compound wound. You need to understand the idea of compounding for DC generators and then trace out the connections and make a drawing. https://circuitglobe.com/compound-wound-generator.html
Some generators use the series winding for starting. Before energizing do some basic tests and some thorough cleaning. Explanation of things In a bit more depth http://www.uobabylon.edu.iq/uobcoleges/ad_downloads/4_17925_628.pdf
Mike

GeneratorGus

Registered
This tag is on a dc generator connected to a F-M 10hp diesel engine. Does anyone have any info on this gen? We want to see if she will produce, but everyone is kinda scared to hook up a battery and see what happens. There is one lead sticking out with a battery cable end on it. We assume this is for energizing the magnets to begin generation. On the other side there are 2 larger gauge cables without ends on them. I'm looking for a picture of the wiring, but haven't found it yet.
Thanks for any info,
Kevin
If you can come up with a model number for the entire unit someone may have a manual for it. Even a picture might help. It may be a battery start setup. Is there a control panel?
GUS

FarmSC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2020
If you can come up with a model number for the entire unit someone may have a manual for it. Even a picture might help. It may be a battery start setup. Is there a control panel?
GUS
I don’t know the unit model#, but I do have more pics finally. Thanks for all the help, so far. Kevin98C2F1FA-B217-4BD9-9CFB-A1185628BED4.jpeg6523431B-9C07-4B4F-9796-ED324908CDC8.jpeg