• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

DC Light Plants F-M 6kw cmpd wound 48a generator info?

FarmSC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2020
This tag is on a dc generator connected to a F-M 10hp diesel engine. Does anyone have any info on this gen? We want to see if she will produce, but everyone is kinda scared to hook up a battery and see what happens. There is one lead sticking out with a battery cable end on it. We assume this is for energizing the magnets to begin generation. On the other side there are 2 larger gauge cables without ends on them. I'm looking for a picture of the wiring, but haven't found it yet.
Thanks for any info,
Kevin

Attachments

Radiomike

Registered
A bit difficult to read the name plate with the reflected flash. I assume the cmpd in the title means compound wound. You need to understand the idea of compounding for DC generators and then trace out the connections and make a drawing. https://circuitglobe.com/compound-wound-generator.html
Some generators use the series winding for starting. Before energizing do some basic tests and some thorough cleaning. Explanation of things In a bit more depth http://www.uobabylon.edu.iq/uobcoleges/ad_downloads/4_17925_628.pdf
Mike

GeneratorGus

Registered
This tag is on a dc generator connected to a F-M 10hp diesel engine. Does anyone have any info on this gen? We want to see if she will produce, but everyone is kinda scared to hook up a battery and see what happens. There is one lead sticking out with a battery cable end on it. We assume this is for energizing the magnets to begin generation. On the other side there are 2 larger gauge cables without ends on them. I'm looking for a picture of the wiring, but haven't found it yet.
Thanks for any info,
Kevin
If you can come up with a model number for the entire unit someone may have a manual for it. Even a picture might help. It may be a battery start setup. Is there a control panel?
GUS

FarmSC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2020
If you can come up with a model number for the entire unit someone may have a manual for it. Even a picture might help. It may be a battery start setup. Is there a control panel?
GUS
I don’t know the unit model#, but I do have more pics finally. Thanks for all the help, so far. Kevin98C2F1FA-B217-4BD9-9CFB-A1185628BED4.jpeg6523431B-9C07-4B4F-9796-ED324908CDC8.jpeg