• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

F Rumely Restoration

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
Aparently when the covers are not in place on top of carb its the perfect size for a mouse to get into.... or mice!! A good vacuum blast and cleaning was the remedy. Polished the brass throttle plate as well. About half of the 1,4 inch bolts were busted most got extracted by welding a washer and a nut to the busted stud but one i had to drill out. Now for the hunt for some 1,4 inch high crown bolts..

Attachments

Last edited:

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
I am looking for opinions on this gasket. It didnt have one before, and am worried abouttoo much verticle slop because of gasket thickness.. i did use very thin material but want input. And as you can see, upper cage is on..

Attachments

Kelly Tytlandsvik

Subscriber
Top picture has the epoxy on it, it did darken the wood and has a matte or dull finish to it.. bottom pic is what it looked like before for comparison
Were you happy with the results?

The other product Luke is talking about is called Quik Poly. It sounds like it is no longer available. Does anyone have any insight on its availability?

Kelly T

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
The following was an email from dan christ i got that he said i could paste on here.

Luke,

I saw on Smokstak that you have an F Rumely gear from Hey Machinery at Baldwin City Kansas, and were wondering about it. I have been there many times over the past 40 years and it was a great place to find early tractor parts. They were just laying around everywhere. Will Hey was the guy who started it back in the twenties or thirties, and junked a lot of tractors. One of the sons told me that during the war they junked over 100 steam engines in a summer. They even ran a Railroad siding in there to load hopper cars. They now sell tires and make up big rims for grain carts. I was there first in 1971 and Will’s two sons were in charge. I did get to visit Will and what great stories he had to tell! I wish I had taken a tape recorder. I could never buy much until Harold Ottaway from Wichita met me there and as they knew him well, we filled our trailers with parts! I hauled four big loads out of there, and Ed Larson got several loads. He got a big pile of good steam engine grates too. Finally after the two sons passed on they had an auction and sold off the rest. That was a few years ago. Nixon’s had the auction. They sold a Hart Parr 30-60, 18-36 Aultman Taylor, and several steam engines along with tons of parts. Biewer’s got a lot of it.

When I was first there they had just sold a cylinder and other parts for an F Rumely to a guy in Washington, maybe Clarence Harsch at Spokane. I will try to list some of the tractors I found parts for. Good luck on the F project!

Dan Crist

Rumely tractor parts: F and E, G, H (Ed got a set of new bull gears), 12-20K (I got a set of new bull gears for one of them too), and counted 12 cylinder heads!) Tons of stuff for about every size light weight Rumely. 30-60 Russell, 15-30 Aultman-Taylor, 45 Titan, Waterloo Boy, 8-16 Mogul, 10-20 Titan, tons of cross motor Case stuff. Poison Oak was everywhere!

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
Follow up question without derailing the thread... there isnt many russels around, where did this one end up?

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
I downloaded this pic for an example.. through an old smokstak thread i found canopy dimensions, but it didnt answer all questions i had... how far should it be from the front rafter to the second rafter that is roughly above the carb, secondly the height of the rafter, i think max height is 6 inches and then the curvature less on the sides of course, but a max 6... looking for input. We got some oak from crosby that was cut up there i plan to use, even though original was cottonwood.

Attachments

Ryan Calhoun

Registered
6” height is correct, 2’ space between front and second header, which leaves 4’ space to the rear. We had our curves cut with cnc. If you thought the program would be of use, and transferable, I would try to have the person we used send it to you. Let me know.

Attachments

gleaner

Registered
Ok, a bit of trivia.. high gear was not in this tractor but got one to put in it. That gear still had the toe tag from the salvage yard it came from from decades ago. Any of you stackers remember this old salvage yard?
Oh yes, I have spent many hours digging at the Hey Brothers is Baldwin City. I see Dan Crist has already responded above. Harold Ottaway and I would go twice a year and bring home a pickup load of stuff. I would always bring one Oil Pull head and one Oil Pull belt pulley/clutch assembly home. Should have bought them all but the pile was so big who would have thought there would be much value. I enjoyed those days of searching for parts.