• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks 2hp Engine with Chain Drive Winch, Sell or Scrap?

Darryl Boyd

Registered
I,m trying to decide if I should try to sell this item or scrap it.

It is a winch unit that has a Fairbanks 2hp engine on it and is driven off the engine by a chain. Very old. The engine has been restored, but the winch itself is not. Either sell then together ot seperate and sell engine and scrap winch.

The winch was used by a company in the SF Bay area that made furnaces. It was used up until the 50's a a winch to pull furnaces into place.

Sell, or scrap? What is it worth? (about)

More photos
http://thedolk.com/hitandmiss/2hpfmrestored/index.html

Here is the engine now.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Re: Sell, or scrap?

Dang,when I saw Concord I was like "I want that!" then I saw california.:(
but heck no don't scrap that,it won't bring but .03 cents a pound.I feel sure someone will want it.I have that same engine except I have a large strange looking cover that goes over it that has service doors on it.
I think it would look much better having a "job" to do than just sitting by it's self on display.

if someone buys the winch,they will need that gear from the engine crankshaft.
wow that is a neat rig and smaller than I thought it would be as well.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Nothing old should ever be scrapped period. All we have is all there will ever be. I wish it was illegal. :rant:

So I'd say "Sell? Or Give Away?" Start with the former, then resort to the latter if need be. :brows: Of course have to make sure you aren't giving it to some scrapper.

It sure seems rare and special to find the driven equipment that goes with the engines. Lots of engines around, but none of their original machines to drive! :bonk:

For this reason I think it's worth a lot more together. I can only imagine there would be a collector that would love to have it.

Keith

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Interesting setup, kind of a shame you candied up the engine. I agree with above posters, both pieces should stay together. What do you want for both? Are you in a rush? Any chance your headed east on I-80 in say 6 months?

K-Tron

Registered

All that I can see is this engine chuffing away pulling a sweet old steel wheel tractor onto a lowboy. For that reason, I am sure someone in engineland wants that setup badly. Like Keith said, it is unusual to see any of the equipment that these engines ran. A winch is a very useful tool, I would find every excuse to use it, too bad we are 3000 miles apart. I hope someone can make good use of this engine/winch combination. Thank you for bringing it to our communitys attention,

Chris

ulgydog56

Registered

bring it back to life, at the very lest part it out, never scrap, don't kill history for 40 bucks...:D

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

Yea if it was concord NC , It would have my 2 hp dishpan on it in a month or 2 after I got it.
Nice to see something a engine ran.

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Darryl: Sell it as a unit. Don't part it, or scrap it out ...:p . To bad you're only 2916 miles from me :shrug: , or I might be on a 100 mile road trip :uhoh: .

Ret AF

Registered

Please don't say that word on here. My Dad threw so much stuff away and it makes me really sad when I think about it. Once done - it's gone forever!

Darryl Boyd

Registered

Well, don't worry. I won't scrap it. Out here in Calif. we have less of this kind of stuff then most of you guys do. I do own a 1/1/2 hp Fairbanks dish pan (hit and miss) When I bought that, it was a solid mass of rust. Removed the head and a 12" long lizard was inside hibernating. It scared the heck out of me when it cam out! When I got to the block, it took me almost 4 weeks rolling it and pouring diesel down it and taping it lightly with a block of wood till the piston unfroze. It is my favorite engine because it was my first when I was around 25 years old or so (I'm 66 now).

The other is a Maytag engine I restored back to running without painting anything. That was really fun. I did this about 3 years ago now. As you can see, I try to leave as much as possible "natural" if I can.

More here on the Maytag
http://thedolk.com/hitandmiss/Maytag/index.html

I also have a Stove 3 1/2 hp engine that my Dad started to restore before he passed in 1995. Maybe some day I'll get to it.

More info on the Stover
http://thedolk.com/hitandmiss/stover/index.html

I used to really be into these engines 20 years ago or so. I have changed over the years to believe that the least should be done to them to make them workable. This is why the engine on that winch is restored (maybe 20 years or more ago now) and the rest got stored at work. Well, like I said, I'm retiring in 3 months and I had to get it out of the shop storage and back home. It's a little large for my cramped garage and that is why I'm trying to decide how and what to do with it. I'm going to contact J.T.Thorp who originally owned it and used it this week to see if they want it. It was my understanding it was one of their first pieces of equipment they ever owned when it was new. It is also made in San Francisco and that is where it was put together. It had a plaque on the side and that is how I know it was originally painted that bright yellow. It was that color under the plaque.

Well, any way, I guess I will try to find it a home. I do know it will have to go somewhere within 2 years as we are going to move out of state then.

PS: I do collect firearms and am aware of the value of "not screwing it up". These engines taught me that years back. I collect Revolutionary war muskets, Civil War Cqarbines, and WWII bolt actions (mostly Mosins).

Thank you for the comments. All of them are helpful and I look forward to any others also!

Thank

Darryl

Darryl Boyd

Registered

Anyone interested in this say in the SF Bay Area, I'd sell it at a reasonable price. If you pick it up.

Darryl

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019

I'm glad you bumped this to the top! That's cooler than an ice cream cone!
Same here, if I wasn't 1000 miles away, I'd have bought it already. :)
Thanks much!

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019

So did an "engine" collector buy it? And like everyone else said....... so far, but a nice piece.

Darryl Boyd

Registered

It has been up for sale now for over a month. $500. But the problem is alway "local pick up only". That cuts the people who would want it but can't get here.

I don't want to do shipping because of it weight and it's difficult to pack up.

Anyone in Northern Calif?

Darryl

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis
Shipping via fastenal is always an option and very cheap. Throw it up an enginads.