• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks E 120hp

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Holy cats! That's a lot of shi...umm crap in those jackets!
How damn many pounds to...? Fantastic!

Brave

Registered
Holy cats! That's a lot of shi...umm crap in those jackets!
How damn many pounds to...? Fantastic!
Not sure. Took 15 min ams still has a little still there. I’m guessing that they were about a quarter full of stuff. Was expecting the fire department to show up. Lol

Brave

Registered
Removed the two injectors this morning. One came off a little grudgingly, but the second was easier. Sucked out about a gallon of water. Hoping rest won’t be so bad since it didn’t have any air space. Looks like the piston was top center. Now to let it dry out and fill it with diesel and let it sit.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
I’m surprised how easy these things come off. I was really worried about this for quite some time.

Attachments

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Man,, you're getting into it. At this rate you'll have it banging away on it's own in a week or two. Better send someone out for about twenty gallons of diesel to run it on.

Brave

Registered
Man,, you're getting into it. At this rate you'll have it banging away on it's own in a week or two. Better send someone out for about twenty gallons of diesel to run it on.
Would be nice... however, I’m not sure if I’ll have the time to stay on it. Have most of the parts. Just need an Oiler and a few other pieces

Brave

Registered
Ran into a wall today with the governor end. Don’t know how to get this top part off. Also, bolts in the fuel box are rusted into making it very difficult to remove the box. Lots of corrosion around the air start seal valve. Wish I could just find a whole new top assembly.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
She ended up coming off eventually. There was a two piece clamshell type clamp that was holding a small pivot arm on the back side access. It was the mount to the cam for the Oiler pump.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Eric, glad you got it off. I have never seen what is under/behind there. That looks like the biggest hurdle you have to cross on getting this beast running. There may be a parts engine near Austin. Problem is, it has had a honey bee nest in it for the last 20 years or so.

Brave

Registered
Eric, glad you got it off. I have never seen what is under/behind there. That looks like the biggest hurdle you have to cross on getting this beast running. There may be a parts engine near Austin. Problem is, it has had a honey bee nest in it for the last 20 years or so.
Thanks for the information. I would be interested in parts. This engine had the cover removed for many years and water got into the fuel box and pump area. I would be interested in another one if possible. I’m sure it would be fine if the covers are still Intact. I have yet to takeoff all bearing covers and drain oil and do a complete system flush. Please let me know if you find anything out. Thanks again

Brave

Registered
Lots of progress on the engine over the last few days. The oiler has been cleaned using a battery charger and super washing soda, water solution for a day and a half. I got the engine remounted to the skid in the proper location this time. Pulled It off the trailer and now it’s on the ground easy to be worked on. Mounted to fly wheel. Found the key stock in the bottom of the exhaust stack. Mounted the belt pulley temporary. And, most importantly freed up the engine with the help of a forklift and a chain Boomer. Cylinder head looks pretty good. Will focus on removing the heads and pistons and cleaning them. Will need help with the Oiler. Does anybody rebuild these? Thanks in advance.

Attachments