• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks E 120hp

Brave

Registered
Today was my lucky day. I found the key stock in the bottom of the exhaust stack buried in the carbon. Cleaned it up and works great.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Use the forklift and a chain Boomer to unstick the engine. Went better than I had hoped. A gallon of diesel oil and penetrating fluid gust out of the cylinder number two once it hit the exhaust port.

Attachments

K-Tron

Registered
This is an absolutely incredible project. I am glad that this engine made its way into your hands. It looks like it will be a runner sooner rather than later. I cannot believe the pace this project is going. It must be nice to have equipment big enough to handle these big engines. I had been talking to a friend in South Carolina about these model 32 Fairbanks Morse diesels and he told me that un-seizing them is not as bad as one might think. There is about 5/16" of piston to cylinder clearance in them. It looks like yours was not stuck too bad, the piston skirt looks nice. What can you tell us about the exhaust ports in the cylinders. They appear to have been fractured and ground in preparation for braze or welding? How detrimental is this on an engine of this size? Are donor cylinders available if need be?

Chris

Brave

Registered
This is an absolutely incredible project. I am glad that this engine made its way into your hands. It looks like it will be a runner sooner rather than later. I cannot believe the pace this project is going. It must be nice to have equipment big enough to handle these big engines. I had been talking to a friend in South Carolina about these model 32 Fairbanks Morse diesels and he told me that un-seizing them is not as bad as one might think. There is about 5/16" of piston to cylinder clearance in them. It looks like yours was not stuck too bad, the piston skirt looks nice. What can you tell us about the exhaust ports in the cylinders. They appear to have been fractured and ground in preparation for braze or welding? How detrimental is this on an engine of this size? Are donor cylinders available if need be?

Chris
Chris, thanks for the inquiry. Yes it’s a blessing to have the tools and space to work on these engines. I have a tendency to get a little absorbed in projects I start.
Yes, these engines are fairly easy to get in seized. It all depends on the environment they were setting in and whether or not covers we’re taken off to expose things to the elements. Mine came out of a flower Mill and was covered in grain that got wet all the time. I was surprised how easy the rusted nuts came off and how good things look. However, I can’t Express enough the impressive results of Automatic transmission fluid mixed with acetone can be on parts that seem impossibly rusted siezed.
As far as the exhaust ports, I have been told that the cracking is normal and does not present a problem. They are actually formed with a V groove to allow for expansion and possibly cracking. They are there just as guides to keep the rings in place as the piston stroke moves past the exhaust ports.
I have found that there are parts for this engine still available. However, mine is a 12 inch which is more scarce than the 14 inch cylinders that are out there. The good thing is that a lot of the parts are interchangeable between the two models.
Hope this helps.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Part no.?
The ser # on my engine is on the engine base, flywheel, and flywheel key. All the same #. Here is a picture of my flywheel. Here is a picture of the flywheel key, I think the hp is stamped on them.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brave

Registered
The ser # on my engine is on the engine base, flywheel, and flywheel key. All the same #. Here is a picture of my flywheel. Here is a picture of the flywheel key, I think the hp is stamped on them.
Wow! That’s a nice size flywheel! 32 E 14?
I’ll have to check mine.

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yes, that should be the serial number. I have seen that on several of the big Fairbanks Morse engines.

Brave

Registered
Removing cylinder, piston for inspection and taking cylinder number two for a little machine work.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Eric, looks like you got some snow out that way. Sure glad it stayed west and north of us. Man you are fired up on this project and have it moving forward nicely.

Brave

Registered
Eric, looks like you got some snow out that way. Sure glad it stayed west and north of us. Man you are fired up on this project and have it moving forward nicely.
Thanks Dwayne. In a perfect world, I would like to be able to stick to it until it’s finished. But, we all know reality comes first. LOL