• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks E 120hp

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Do the rings say Cooks? Did I read that right?
Ya just gonna call Cook Compression in Louisville and order new rings? ;)
Bah, I suppose since they got BIG, they threw out all of their pertinent historical records and old inventory anyway.
Lovin' this thread Brave!

Brave

Registered
Bah, I suppose since they got BIG, they threw out all of their pertinent historical records and old inventory anyway.
Yes, these are cooks rings. Would be nice if they still carried them. I cleaned them up. They look and fit snug. I guess we’ll find out. LOL. Thanks for the update.

Brave

Registered
Few Picts of getting the crank cases cleaned. Scraped 2 buckets of sludge, power washed, and degreased.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Well, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn’t go this far. But, I’m glad I did. Give me a chance to do a thorough cleaning and find some potential problems. I would rather address these now versus later. At least now I will know what quality engine I’ll have in the long run. Will take everything next week to steam pressure wash and get down to good iron.

Attachments

K-Tron

Registered
Just out of curiosity, how heavy are those babbitt bearing shells? Looks like 20lbs of material per half! You are into the engine this far, it would only make sense to repour the babbitt bearings. The good news is that the babbitt shells are large enough that you can scrape them with normal sized tools.

PS, I really like how the crankshaft bolts together in pieces. I remember reading that Fairbanks Morse built these engines so that a caravan of animals could move their pieces to remote areas for assembly.

Chris

Brave

Registered
Yeah Cooks said no deal. Lol

Brave

Registered
Just out of curiosity, how heavy are those babbitt bearing shells? Looks like 20lbs of material per half! You are into the engine this far, it would only make sense to repour the babbitt bearings. The good news is that the babbitt shells are large enough that you can scrape them with normal sized tools.

PS, I really like how the crankshaft bolts together in pieces. I remember reading that Fairbanks Morse built these engines so that a caravan of animals could move their pieces to remote areas for assembly.

Chris
The crankshaft is in one piece. However, the counterbalance weights are bolted on as separate pieces

Brave

Registered
Tapered blocks and bolts to keep the bearings centered and secure. Will need to find more stud bolts and possibly fabricate another block.

Attachments

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
"Cooks said no deal."
Bummer.
40 years ago they may have said differently. "Hey Jerry, we got any rings yet for 12" bore Fairbanks-Morse engines?"
Jerry says back from the parts room: "Hang on."......... "Yep, we got some."... :unsure:
You are exposing some lower crankcase details that may not be known even to Fairbanks-Morse operators at shows today.
Fascinating thread.
Crappy part: Makes me want one. Or more. Sick part: I even thought about an 80 single, with the fat flywheel last night.
:)
Pray tell: Have you talked about that big grey 6 cylinder engine that's in the background of some your F-M pics?
Thanks Brave.
Du.