• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Fairbanks E 120hp

Brave

Registered
"Cooks said no deal."
Bummer.
40 years ago they may have said differently. "Hey Jerry, we got any rings yet for 12" bore Fairbanks-Morse engines?"
Jerry says back from the parts room: "Hang on."......... "Yep, we got some."... :unsure:
You are exposing some lower crankcase details that may not be known even to Fairbanks-Morse operators at shows today.
Fascinating thread.
Crappy part: Makes me want one. Or more. Sick part: I even thought about an 80 single, with the fat flywheel last night.
:)
Pray tell: Have you talked about that big grey 6 cylinder engine that's in the background of some your F-M pics?
Thanks Brave.
Du.
That would’ve been nice back in the day. But here we are. LOL there is a company out of Kerrville that still supplies them I’m told. There called Trigon Industries.
yes, I will have taken apart absolutely everything possible on the inside and outside of this engine when it’s all said and done. Probably will have learned more than I ever wanted to have learned about this thing. But, it is very rewarding and totally worth it just from all the Great people I have met in doing so. Lots of very smart guys out there willing to lend advice.
The six cylinder is from a power plant here in Texas that was being demolished. I saved it along with a generator so we can put it on display at the museum here in San Angelo. It was a great project. I believe I have a lot of it documented on engine oil field Society webpage on Facebook.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Tapered blocks and bolts to keep the bearings centered and secure. Will need to find more stud bolts and possibly fabricate another block.
My engine doesn't use the blocks and dowels to hold the main bearing caps in alignment.

What does the engine crankshaft use for thrust bearing?

Brave

Registered
36 degrees and power washing the crank and lower case. Tons of gunk but at least now she’s clean.

Attachments

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Diesel Supply in Joplin, Mo. used to have 13" Rings for the Nordberg Diesels that I worked on here in Neodesha, Ks. in the light Plant. Just another possibility for Rings.

Brave

Registered
Strangest thing. The black pipe has small machined inserts pressed into them on the end that screws into the bottom of the crank case. I suppose this was for a vibration? I will pull the other one out and install new plumbing with the inserts in them.

Attachments

Dave Myers

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/07/2018
As far as rings I have had excellent results from Niagara Piston Rings. They make custom sizes and I feel are reasonable in cost and timeframe.
David

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Love that cylinder hone. It worked so that was the right way to do it. :)
What was it before a cylinder hone?

Brave

Registered
Love that cylinder hone. It worked so that was the right way to do it. :)
What was it before a cylinder hone?
It was actually fabricated by the men that ran the power plant in Weatherford Texas. I picked it up when we salvaged a Fairbanks six cylinder 32 E engine. It was meant for the 14 inch cylinders but, I had to modified it to shrink into the 12 inch cylinders for this engine.

Mike McKnight

Registered
This is an absolutely fascinating thread! When I was younger (early 20’s) I was somewhat involved with saving a couple of big FM diesels that the local tractor/engine club got donated to them. They got both of them running, but didn’t go to near this level of detail on working on them. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing the end result!
Mike

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Really appreciate all the pictures and details on your rebuild. I am learning so much. There is a single cylinder FM near me that I am trying to buy but so far my attempts have failed. If I ever succeed this post will be invaluable to me. Thanks

Nobby

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/28/2016
Excellent work and attention to detail.

Niagara as already mentioned is a standard go to for larger rings. Also there is AD Piston Rings and Grover Corp making for the larger diameters.

Cheers
Nobby

Brave

Registered
This is an absolutely fascinating thread! When I was younger (early 20’s) I was somewhat involved with saving a couple of big FM diesels that the local tractor/engine club got donated to them. They got both of them running, but didn’t go to near this level of detail on working on them. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing the end result!
Mike
Mike, thanks for the reply and support. Yes good to know people have a passion and need for these things. I have always enjoyed following the progress of other projects on these forms because it’s very educational. I know that there are many men out there that have done this 100 times and are way more skilled than I. But, difficult to know who these people are when you’re new to the hobby as I. I hope I can provide that n this build by documenting everything I’ve learned from others that have been here before.

Brave

Registered
Really appreciate all the pictures and details on your rebuild. I am learning so much. There is a single cylinder FM near me that I am trying to buy but so far my attempts have failed. If I ever succeed this post will be invaluable to me. Thanks
Probably the most important thing that I have learned from others is that there will always be another engine, and probably better one too. LOL just after I purchased this Engine that was frozen, stuck and in pretty bad condition, I found another one, but a more common size, 14”, but in running condition, in the same area at a really good price and purchased it.
Although I will have more time effort and money put in this one than it will ever be worth, Im grateful to have the opportunity to learn everything about it before just being able to purchase one and push the start button so to speak.
Anybody can buy an engine already running and turn the key. But to truly appreciate these things I have to take the advice of others. “Just get one not running an tear it apart.” Plus this will give me all the information I need to troubleshoot any future issues with the engine or what to look for in purchasing my next.

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Eric, you are going to make a bunch of us look bad with all the work and effort you put in!
Thanks for all the pictures and documentation. Looking forward to seeing this engine in person.
(Typed by Dwayne's wife, due to his accident.)