• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks E 120hp

Brave

Registered
Taking On a project that I’ve been putting off for the last few months. Rebuilding the upper half of the governor assembly. Good news! Found out that some of the parts out of the assembly that I salvaged was from a six cylinder 32E 14 is the exact same parts that I need To replace in the 32E 12 control box. Took forever to clean and remove the rust on this project. Rods were so rusted and frozen in place that I had to drive them out with a hammer. I ended up bending them. I actually Was able to bend them straight enough to reinstall and slide freely. But, once I found that the other Ross were the same, it was a no brainer. Replaced everything. All rods and even cracked springs. Picture show replaced parts in contrast to replacements. Notice the amount of pitting and rust damage.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Hard to believe that any of this would have ever worked. Really fortunate to have had the opportunity to salvage the control box off the previous engine. Everything slides smooth with no binding now.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Finally finished and painted. Having air start valve seat machined, then install oil and fuel injection pumps.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Cleaned up all the interior air seal rings and springs. Almost ready to reinstall the crank.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Looking good, Eric. You will have a really nice engine when you get done. Glad you had found some spare parts!

Brave

Registered
Good work yesterday and today. Got the 3/8’s inch plate installed, Fabed a 3” spacer out of rectangle steel primered and installed and finally the engine base mounted and bolted down to its final resting place.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Installed plate to seal off bottom. Also made 3 inch riser for clearance a fly wheel.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Finally re-done building both cases. Now I have a back up👍Finally re-done building both cases. Now I have a back up

Attachments

Englishengineguy43

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/15/2020
Hi what is the weight of your engine? I am planning to buy that same engine from a good friend of mine i like to know how much she weighs
Thank you
Eric

Brave

Registered
Hi what is the weight of your engine? I am planning to buy that same engine from a good friend of mine i like to know how much she weighs
Thank you
Eric
I believe we’re looking at 22,000 pounds with the fly wheel. It also depends on the size of fly wheel. Some of them are bigger than others.

Brave

Registered
Thank you
Eric
Let me know if you run across any other engines or parts. Also, I would like to see pictures and hear your documentation of the project. Always a fan of these diesels...👍👍

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
You guys make me jealous lol. I'd love to find a single cylinder FM close to me. Always looking. Might happen one day,,,if I love long enough.