• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Fairbanks Morse 25 Hp YH

cherob

Registered
I have recovered a Fairbanks Morse 25 HP model Yh that has been sitting in the bush of Northwestern Ontario since 1933. It is a 1923 model with the center head injector. i have it home now and am disassembling it, the cylinder is stuck and it is missing the Madison Kipp oiler but otherwise it looks to be complete. It is apparent that a bush repair was done on this motor without proper tools. The cylinder head nuts have been rounded off with a pipe wrench and a broken ten inch piston ring was found on the forest floor close by along with a copper/asbestos head gasket. My question is, what is the proper head gasket for this engine. When I removed the head it has two paper type gaskets between the head and cylinder and another between the head and the injector housing. Has anyone had experiance with the gaskets on these engines and if so who did they get the replacements from?

cherob

Registered
I did get John at Gaskets to Go to make some head gaskets for me! I now have the Piston out of the cylinder and the rings off the piston without breaking. The black tarry substance that is on every part of this motor is unbelievable but I believe that is what has kept the internal parts of the engine in good shape. I will spend the winter cleaning parts and reassembling. Still looking for a rebuildable three feed Madison Kipp oiler! Hope to hear this machine run again within the next year if I am able to find one....

Chuck Moss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2020
The oiler originally provided for the YH's was a Madison Kipp Model 50, with two pressure feed lines (cylinder & connecting rod) and a gravity drip line to the governor eccentric. A drop in substitute is the Manzel Model 25D, which can be configured with several configurations. I say "drop in" somewhat tongue in cheek, as I did need to make a simple adapter plate to provide mounting holes in the right places.

On my YH I got a four pump Manzel 25D off of Ebay, removed one of the pumps and installed a cover plate to fill the space from the removed pump. I bought the cover plate from Lubriquip. Looks like the product line has been bought out and/or name changed to Graco which still manufactures Manzel 25D oilers. http://www.graco.com/us/en/products/industrial-lubrication/manzel-model-25-lubricator.html

Contaucreek

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2017
Maybe if I find myself in the northern part of our great Province I might shout out to you for a look see at that great engine!

cherob

Registered
I have never posted pictures before so I hope this works. These are some of the rescue operation once we got it to the water's edge. From here it was floated some thirty plus miles through a series of rivers and lakes to a landing from there it was hauled by road to my shop...

Attachments

cherob

Registered
It was at a mining claim owned by Ontario Woman Lake Gold mines Limited. they worked the property from 1928 to 1933 and then walked away during the depression. It looks like it was used to pump water and run a hammer mill during the exploration! What is amazing is that there were no roads in 1928 and the closest rail line was 175 miles away. It was a tough life for whoever moved the 6800 lbs to its final resting place where I found it....

56Townsman

Registered
That's a great story, and amazing survival, appears to be in surprisingly good shape. I appreciate seeing the photos and imagining the adventure. And now, you know how to post photos!

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Those are some great photos. Thanks for posting. There is no obsticale to large to overcome when rescuing old engines.

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Great photos and captains chair in the boat!. I have a 25hp Yh style B engine(that I can't find parts for) so I can appreciate how big and heavy those parts are, my engine gets moved with an excavator!.
Nathan.

cherob

Registered
Originally as found the piston was a couple of inches below the cylinder. I attached a air line and filled the area above the piston with oil for a few days then headed the cylinder with a tiger torch. the piston moved about six inch"s and then stuck

Attachments

56Townsman

Registered
Now that you've become adept at posting photos of engines and planes, you need to figure out how to post links to videos - so that in a few months we can watch this engine come back to life!

Chuck Moss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2020
Did the piston perhaps stop moving because the exhaust port become uncovered?

If so, it seems to me that you may need to pull the head and drive the piston out. A 4 X 4 and 10 lb hammer worked on my 10 HP YH. Maybe and 1/16" or 1/8" at a time, but all engines are different.

Or, pull it out if you can make those arrangements easier.

The good news is that you got the piston to move, that's usually 90% of the challenge for getting any stuck or frozen part free.

Cheers,
Chuck

Last edited:

cherob

Registered
The oil did run out once the piston passed the exhaust port. A six ton jack would not move it so after removing the rust from the cylinder with a flap wheel and soaking for two months with penetrant I made a homemade press to push it towards the head end

Attachments