• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks Morse 32hp Model "N" Gas Engine Rusty Revival

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
This engine was a runner a few years ago. However, due to life, it has sat for several years and hasn't been run. During that time, we restored the Sectionalized 40hp FBM "N" and brought the 60hp FBM "N" back to life. Since we are not quite to the point of tackling the 22hp project, we determined it was a perfect time for this engine.

Much like the 60hp engine, this engine has a killer base to install. Lauren built these bases from large I beem and designed them to mimic what an original 2 piece FBM base would look like. Needless to say, they look spot on!

First up for the day was marking the base for the mounting holes. As the holes are just shy of 1-1/8" using a transfer punch wasn't an option since the set available only goes up to 1". No problem though, we simply machined a transfer punch guide to use with the 3/8" punch.

Once the base was marked, off the engine came for drilling the holes. The mag drill and a Hogue bit made quick work of the 1" holes.

Once the base was drilled, we mounted up the timbers that everything will rest on. Lauren had some really nice heavy square nuts that provide that period correct appearance.

We finished up the day starting on the fuel tank mounting. More to follow on that tomorrow (?) as we mount and plumb in the fuel system.

Machine and Fab

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2020
This engine was a runner a few years ago. However, due to life, it has sat for several years and hasn't been run. During that time, we restored the Sectionalized 40hp FBM "N" and brought the 60hp FBM "N" back to life. Since we are not quite to the point of tackling the 22hp project, we determined it was a perfect time for this engine.

Much like the 60hp engine, this engine has a killer base to install. Lauren built these bases from large I beem and designed them to mimic what an original 2 piece FBM base would look like. Needless to say, they look spot on!

First up for the day was marking the base for the mounting holes. As the holes are just shy of 1-1/8" using a transfer punch wasn't an option since the set available only goes up to 1". No problem though, we simply machined a transfer punch guide to use with the 3/8" punch.

Once the base was marked, off the engine came for drilling the holes. The mag drill and a Hogue bit made quick work of the 1" holes.

Once the base was drilled, we mounted up the timbers that everything will rest on. Lauren had some really nice heavy square nuts that provide that period correct appearance.

We finished up the day starting on the fuel tank mounting. More to follow on that tomorrow (?) as we mount and plumb in the fuel system.
Nice work with the transfer punch and bushing! And that is some first class fabrication work on that base for sure. You can't beat those annular cutters for big holes. Looking forward to seeing her run.

Don

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
That mag drill is kind of cheating isn't it?
I've never used a bit like that but I can see they would be really good. Thanks for explaining how the bases were made.
Man that is really a piece of art! It may be my imagination but I seem to detect the tiniest hint of press bend marks on the curved end. Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Looking a little closer at another picture. I think it is my imagination. Though I would presume you had to press that to bend it?

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
The rear section was actually rolled l, no press required 🙂

This morning we finished mounting the fuel tank (welded in the cross base angle to secure the tank).

Then we went on to finishing the plumbing. We had to drill additional holes in the base for the fuel tank drain (out the back) and the fuel pump feed line out the side of the base. Then we routed the return line towards the front. We decided to weld in a support bracket for the return line to avoid it vibrating in there.

Once the fuel lines were run to that point, it was time to lift the engine back up, set it on the base and secure it in place. It looks phenomenal!

After lunch, with the engine mounted to the base, I slipped underneath to finish plumbing in the 3/8 return line.

From here Lauren will work the fuel pump over so that we can get it mounted back in place and finish the fuel system plumbing.

On Thursday of this week, the engine will celebrate its 115th birthday!

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
More work on the 32hp Fairbanks Morse "N" today. Reinstalled most of the "accessory drive" type items: the governor weights, the exhaust valve, exhaust valve push rod, detent arm, fuel pump, and engine name tag. Next up we will be focusing on the air start and getting it fully functional. Pretty excited about this engine!

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
More progress on the 32hp Model N today. Lauren bent up the fuel tank to pump line, so we were able to get it installed.

We also went through the air start to make sure everything there looked ready for the test run (when we get to that point).

We wrapped up the day by going through the Michigan Swing Top Oilers and locating a pretty nice set of 6, don't they look like a big happy family resting on top of the engine!

Jason Dahm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
More progress on the 32hp Model N today. Lauren bent up the fuel tank to pump line, so we were able to get it installed.

We also went through the air start to make sure everything there looked ready for the test run (when we get to that point).

We wrapped up the day by going through the Michigan Swing Top Oilers and locating a pretty nice set of 6, don't they look like a big happy family resting on top of the engine!
Nothing like nice jewelry on the ol' gal!

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
A little teaser for the 32hp FBM Model N: how about a coating of our special surface treatment and a test fit of the exhaust muffler? This was a custom built unit that Lauren had his crew build prior to the closing of his business. It was built to replicate a period muffler design and in my opinion is spot on!

20200214_131730.jpg

We haven't had time to work on the engine as of late due to other pressing projects in the shop, but we hope to get more work done soon. Stay tuned!

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
REALLY nice job as usual. Looks like the new shop is up and running. Who did the roll on the base end?

bigGURN

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/01/2012
Who did the roll on the base end?
It was done when Lauren had his crew build the bases several years back. Before Lauren closed the shop, and the equipment was sold, he had a large set of rollers.