• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks Morse 3hp Plugocillator Magneto Help

Kanonier74

Registered
Hello everyone, I'm new to this group and very happy to have found this forum. Im near finished with a complete restoration of my 1918 Fairbanks morse 3hp z type b plugocillator. It came with the original sumpter magneto, believe it's a style 14. I opened it up, no rust inside looks good. Coil has continuity, magnets appear weak. I'd like to get it working again but don't know how to properly test it. It's a California engine, so parts are not very rusty. Does anyone have advice to to repair it or has a referral.?
Next question is, would it be easier to connect a spark coil instead, and how is this done, where to get these parts from? Thank you, any help is appreciated. Pete.

jackjohnhunt

Registered
It's pretty simple to make it run with a coil and battery. I think I have a diagram in my photos. If I do I will attach a copy.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Try to find someone local who can charge your magnets. If you ask around at shows, someone will know somebody with a charger. Sounds like the rest of your magneto is ok and with the magnets up to snuff, it should be good and hot.
Have you tried tripping the magneto/ignitor assembly to see if there’s spark?

---------- Post added at 10:24:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19:29 PM ----------

Here is the diagram, hope this helps. I just made this system for a Hercules 1 1/2 hp today.
This won’t work on Kanonier74’s engine. A plugoscillator is a low tension ignitor. There’s no spark plug.

cobbadog

Registered
Try your magneto first to see if it is 'hot'. Only operate it in a way that it will make a spark to ground via jumpimg a small gap or spark plug. Best not to operate the magneto with the HT lead just hanging in mid air this damages the magneto.
As for recharging, Junkologist made a great suggestion and then you will meet someone who can help you out and become a great mate. Failing that there is a sponsors page listed in the dark blue line at the top of the page on the very right hand end. Find one near you and make contact with them.
For me I like to see a magneto on an engine that came with one but it is always your choice as it is your toy. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Try your magneto first to see if it is 'hot'. Only operate it in a way that it will make a spark to ground via jumpimg a small gap or spark plug. Best not to operate the magneto with the HT lead just hanging in mid air this damages the magneto.
The plugoscillator is a low tension mag. It produces only a couple of volts and will not jump a gap. A low tension system creates a spark only when the ignitor points snap open. There is no spark plug involved. There is no high tension to destroy a coil.

Kanonier74

Registered
thanks for all the advice friends.
yes its a low tension sumpter #14, that came original with the engine. the shaft was rusted and seized, after oiling it and carefully completely disassembling it, everything moves with ease now. magnets do appear weak but the coils and other parts inside look amazingly very well. I think it works, just don't know exactly how to test it. I have a multimeter (DVOM), if I mount it on the ignitor bracket, trip it , I don't see spark when the points are open, this im doing on the bench and im not sure if this is a valid test. Ill attach pictures at a later time. thanks everyone .

---------- Post added at 04:34:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32:08 PM ----------

can you get me Gabes # , thx Ben

Kanonier74

Registered
I took the mag completely apart again, turns out the magnets were backwards, corrected this, feel some little resistance now when turning the mag but only 1.8v coming out. I have it apart now down to the bare coil. I measure between the 2 wire ends and have an open circuit. I suspect there is an open in the winding somewhere. Does anyone have further advise or a resource? Thank you.