• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Fairbanks Morse 5hp Z

D

Dale Parker

Just about finished (after 7 months) mechanically restoring my first antique engine, a 5 hp Fairbanks Morse Z. Need correct paint color and scheme as well as any decals that may apply to this engine. Please help with paint color(s) and/or source or any info about color layout.

Does anyone have any idea what the restored value of this engine may be?

Thanks, Dale Parker

B

Bob Naske

The "Z" series was painted dark forest green, should have brass oval ID tag front of hopper that could say 6hp depending on bore of engine.

V

Vernon

I have been around a few Fairbanks-Morse engines and I have never seen a Z model in 5 hp. What year is this? What bore and stroke? Thanks!

A

Allan Wright

I maybe be mistaken, but I think Fairbanks made a Style B in 5 and 7 1/2 hp.

J

Joel Mosley

Fairbanks Morse definitely made a 5 HP Syle Z model B engine. I have a 1934 Model and I a have seen a few others over the years.

Joel

D

Dale Parker

The brass tag on the front of the hopper definately id's this engine as a 5 hp Z, 600 rpm. There were apparently very few made, as replacement parts are not very available. It is an open crank, throttle governed style, with a 4 3/4" bore and 6" stroke. Fairly certain it was made in 1930. Thanks for your comments.

E

Ed Deis

The 5HP "B" is not rare, but sure not as many around as the other "Z" models. Parts are not scarce either other than possibly the bare head and piston. Many of the other parts exchange with the 3 & 6HP "Z" sizes. Although there are some differences in the 3 & 5HP the 6 & 7 1/2HP "B" Z's are basically the same (both have 5 3/4" bore). Ed

L

Larry A. Dalton

Dale.. I have a 5 and it is really a 3 HP Basically, W/Heavier Flywheels and a Wider Hopper, I have seen no other differences in the Two. Larry

T

Tom Winland

I have a 5HP Z straight off the pumpjack, it must have a inch of grease on it. You get dirty just looking at it!!!

Tom Winland Ohio

E

Ed Deis

No difference between 3 & 5 "B" HP?? Try inter-changing the block, cyl. head or piston. You'll need some very special tools (like a shrinker). The bore on the 3HP is 4 1/2" and the 5HP is 4 3/4". Yes-they do look alike and yes many parts will interchange. I realize sometimes I come on as a know-it-all, but I'm certainly far from that. Just want to see the correct info go to those who are trying to learn something. Ed