• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks Morse 6 cyl Engine Model Number

haywaj

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2017
Hello, I was out for a drive and saw this interesting engine. I am wondering what the model is, as I have done an internet search and nothing looking like it has come up. Thanks, Jack

Attachments

enginenut2

Registered
Re: Fairbanks Morse 6 cyl engine model number

The "Diesel Engine Catalog" volume 10 (1945) tells us the following about the 36A engines: made in 2 displacement sizes, 4 1/4 bore X 6 stroke , in 1,2,3,4,and 6 cyl rated 10 HP per cyl., called model 36A4 1/4 and 6 and 8 cyl model 36A5 1/2 , 5 1/2 X 7 1/2, rated 20 HP per cyl.All at 1200 RPM. It states the larger engines were readily convertible to gas operation. My next later volume, volume 19 (1954) doesn't show these models-probably replaced by smaller lighter 2 stroke development.
Comparing advertising pictures of 36A engines, the smaller versions had a shorter crankcase side cover than the larger engine and the covers shown in your picture are more like the larger engine.

haywaj

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2017

Yea, it's a ways from the road, but it sure looks to be larger than the 36A. Many thanks, Jack

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

Any idea what it ran? Looks like it has been out in the open for quite a while:( Any idea on condition?

haywaj

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2017

There are several "No Trespassing" signs on the property. Not sure how I am going to contact the resident...

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Hmmm... Mebbie Connecticut is like Iowa... county recorder's office, plat map, look up who holds the deed, then get contact info, and call or write with explanation...

Tell them that you're an antique engine enthusiast and would like to discuss it with them... :shrug:

Wayne 440

Registered
Or walk in the nearest "greasy spoon" restaurant around lunchtime, and say "does anybody know who owns the place where that old engine is sitting..." - odds are that someone will know who it belongs to and how to find them.

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Usual end to these stories is the owner wants a million dollars for the solid gold (he thinks....) lump in his field or he 'Plans on restoring it someday', which we all know will never happen.

haywaj

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2017
When the weather breaks I'm going to see if I can contact him/her.

haywaj

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2017
Haven't sought him out - just lost my job so I am focusing on that for the moment.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Hi Jack: Hope your employment situation is in better shape now. Sucks being out of work. It's been over a year now since you teased us with the picture of that engine. Any progress on contacting the owner? Hope you have some news to share.

haywaj

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2017
Thanks Peter, now I have a new job so I am thinking that over the next few months I will reach out to the owner, stop by, and see what his thoughts are. Thanks for your interest and bringing this post back to the present!