• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Fairbanks Morse 739 Questions

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
I just picked up this awesome engine and it runs perfect on gasoline, I would like to run it on propane. The valve on the front I assume is for adjusting the flow, what is the brass elbow on the back side for. It looks like it's plugged off right now. I think it was made in the 50s but I'm not sure.
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
Thank You, it's gravity fed now so I can leave it the way it is. I will hook up a propane tank and give it a try.
Mark

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Those metering valves aren’t the best. A Hayes gas clock or similar work far better to regulate the gas. Most people start them on gasoline just a squirt or two into the butterfly. Then as it’s dying open the valve slowly till it hits on the propane.

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
Those metering valves aren’t the best. A Hayes gas clock or similar work far better to regulate the gas. Most people start them on gasoline just a squirt or two into the butterfly. Then as it’s dying open the valve slowly till it hits on the propane.
Thanks I had it running on propane yesterday. I did start in on gasoline and switched it over. I will look into the valve you mentioned.
Mark

Allan Wright

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2019
My most favorite engine. The pictures don’t really show how big these things are.
They have a one of a kind sound when they’re running.

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
I have it at the Tillamook show right now, everyone comments about the sound :D