• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks Morse 739 Questions

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
I just picked up this awesome engine and it runs perfect on gasoline, I would like to run it on propane. The valve on the front I assume is for adjusting the flow, what is the brass elbow on the back side for. It looks like it's plugged off right now. I think it was made in the 50s but I'm not sure.
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
Thank You, it's gravity fed now so I can leave it the way it is. I will hook up a propane tank and give it a try.
Mark

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Those metering valves aren’t the best. A Hayes gas clock or similar work far better to regulate the gas. Most people start them on gasoline just a squirt or two into the butterfly. Then as it’s dying open the valve slowly till it hits on the propane.

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
Those metering valves aren’t the best. A Hayes gas clock or similar work far better to regulate the gas. Most people start them on gasoline just a squirt or two into the butterfly. Then as it’s dying open the valve slowly till it hits on the propane.
Thanks I had it running on propane yesterday. I did start in on gasoline and switched it over. I will look into the valve you mentioned.
Mark

Allan Wright

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2019
My most favorite engine. The pictures don’t really show how big these things are.
They have a one of a kind sound when they’re running.

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
I have it at the Tillamook show right now, everyone comments about the sound :D