• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Fairbanks Morse FM-x2b7e Magneto

boweevil

Registered
New guy here. A friend has asked me to help repair a Wisconsin TJD engine on an old log splitter. I'm not familiar with magnetos so I'm asking for advice. The engine will crank and run for 1-3 minutes and then shuts off instantly, just like you turned off the key. We removed the condenser and it has two spots where it appears to have been arcing from the case to ground. Have ordered a replacement, Standard S6-138, is that an acceptable substitute? Also there is a black wire coming from the Magneto, is this a ground wire to kill the ignition. The engine has been messed with before he got it and I'm wondering if someone might have assumed it should be wired to put 12 volts into the magneto. I won't be able to access the engine again until Wednesday, so I'm just trying to get my ducks lined up. Thanks in advance from an old Shade Tree Mechanic.

mmcdonald

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2017
The condenser you ordered should be fine. Never connect battery voltage to any magneto. If condenser does not fix problem it could be the coil. Assuming the wire is for grounding only it's possible it could have an intermittent ground so I'd try the engine without wire connected first. Be sure points look good and are clean while you're in there.

Pumpkin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/27/2019
Check the oil level in the crankcase. Some Wisconsin engines have a oil level switch to prevent the engine from running if the oil level is low.

oldgoat

Email NOT Working
The TJD also has a temperature switch on the rear cyl head which earths the magneto when it gets too hot. You may have a dud swich assuming that it is still connected