• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks Morse generator

MSteinblock

Registered
Looking at possibly bringing home a FM generator. What should i be watching for? Ballpark what they are worth? Sorry dont have any info about it. Thanks!

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
Hard to say without knowing anything about it.. 50 to 1000 bucks? What kw is it? Gas or diesel?

b74eqcm

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2015
If it's a 38 8-1/8, the opposed piston design is very compact but high maintenance. The gear train between the upper and lower crankshafts is subject to wear. They also often use Alco turbochargers which are finicky about quality oil.

But, then again, maybe you didn't a 2,000 KW Fairbanks Morse.

;)

Jim T.

Attachments

b74eqcm

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2015
I think that picture is from a sub. We had a few at a power plant I worked at years ago. Don't have any good pictures of them, though.

They were used in subs because of their impressive hp output for a given size and weight. They are a two stroke diesel with opposed piston design - crankshaft at top of engine, crankshaft at bottom, connected by a gear train. Two sets of pistons coming at each other to form a combustion chamber, air intake and exhaust through ports - no valves.

So lots of horsepower for the footprint and weight, but not so great fuel economy and hard to clean up for emissions requirements.

Jim T.

Tim0477

Registered
Was that the sub in Baltimore inner harbor near the museum? The "Torske" I think it was named? I have been on that one before and it is definitely a neat experience to walk through there. I remember being able to go most places on the sub with the exception of the conning tower and I think anything below the water line was off limits. I have also been on the coast guard cutter (Taney?) there. That one was a little disappointing. The engine room and boiler room were off limits due to asbestos.

Tim

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
I would guess $150-250. If you could test it, it would be better. If it needs rewound, I would say $50.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Looks to be direct current, I wonder what voltage and kW? Does it have a good nameplate? That's a biggie to me.

Funny, I first visualized the big opposed FM engines as well! The subs had them and the 567 series EMDs as well. The EMDs were better as their continuous rating was equal to the FMs' non continuous rating, according to the technical manuals for the subs. Evidently the temperature of the exhaust side pistons is the limiting factor.

Keith

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Looks like a 32vdc 600+/- watt. Well we'll have to see.... If it's not, my estimate is way off.

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Ooops, that's the bigger brother. Great find anyway. You can find those laminate sheaves on ebay for cheap sometimes. If your not in a hurry.
Are you going to belt it up to something?
You can usually find the engine and base for the light plant and what you have is usually missing. I once bought what you have and I was going to belt it up to a Detroit engine. About 1 1/2 years later I found an engine w/ the base missing the generator head, now I have a complete unit.

MSteinblock

Registered
I was mostly interested in it because i have a 6 horse Z that would look at home with it, although i am assuming it is way too big. After researching yesterday i do see it is supposed to be on a base with a motor. What is the whole setup worth? Did i get a decent deal on the gen?

Thanks!

Matt

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Matt, I don't know what you gave for it, but if you don't intend to resell it and it makes you happy owning and playing with it, than yes, you got a heck of a deal. (These gen heads are hard to come by) If you got it to resell it and cant make any profit, than well, you paid too much. Ive seen the whole set ups go anywhere from $750-1200.
I have the 1 1/2hp and the 3hp FMZ light plants. I havnt shown the 3 yet, but the 1 1/2 gets a bunch of attention, real crowd pleaser. Your six will be fine w/ it, as long as you don't over speed it. The generator speed is rated at 2000 rpms. Keep us posted!

MSteinblock

Registered
When you display it, do you hook anything up to it? Want to make a display just not sure what to power wih it. Thought about putting together a small cart for it possibly, not the lightest thing to lug around.

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
In the past I have only had a few lights. I was working on a carted display w/ 32volt water pump, lights, gauges phone and a fan. I haven't finished it yet though. Here is one of my set ups at a show a few years back.

Sam Mendenhall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/24/2015
This is what I have been looking for, I had posted on engine site inquiring about one I had seen at Mt. Pleasant but didnt know what I was looking for not being able to talk to the guy that owned it. If anyone knows where I can find one please email me. Much appreciated.
Sam Mendenhall

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
If indeed you have a 3 home light plant, I wrote an article about restoration of one for the Gas Engine magazine. Need details, EMail me, and I will help if I can
Andrew Mackey