• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Fairbanks Morse Locomotive Generator

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Picked this up yesterday, they said it was a railroad locomotive generator. Just took some quick and dirty photos of it, I'll get the other panel off and get better ones later. I haven't been able to find any info or anything like this one.

Patrick

Attachments

Railroads

Registered
Hmm, It's not a locomotive generator. It looks like some kind of AC generator. Can't tell from the pics if it's AC or DC? It could have been in railroad service of some sort at some point in it's life as stationary power or mounted to a piece of MOW equipment. People seem to get FM engines mixed up with the big opposed piston engines FM did use on locomotives.

The thing kinda looks like some of the older style AC generators used as backup power on farms and the like.

Robert

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Its been suggested that maybe it was a welder. That box on the back has the gen wires going to it with 2 post to attach outgoing wires......but the posts seem to small for welding leads.

Patrick

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I was thinking the same thing, just didnt have enough time today to really go over it.

Patrick

Railroads

Registered
I was thinking the same thing. I was just looking at a 1960's welder recently with the same outer body work. Only difference was 2 cyl diesel verses gas. Maybe it was a RR welder or maybe not. People don't seem to know what they are talking about sometimes. Like more often than not.

Robert

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Does not have the right values for a welder, the volts are too high and amps are too low.

If you can find a center point you'll have a 110/220 generator.

scottie

Registered
look on the side of the engine, the IXB models had the year cast into the block, these ones may also have that

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I finally got the info on this unit from a previous owner. It was mounted on a steam engine driven railroad crane on the tracks, the generator was used to power lights all around the crane. They thought it dated to the 1900's-teens. This previous owner, who is now in his 80's, and his father, used it as a stand alone generator around the farm.

Patrick