• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Fairbanks Morse model H 6hp needs help

Jim Gauer

Registered
Anyone know of a running F/M model H 6hp with throttle governor which originally started on gasoline and ran on kerosene.

I would like to talk to the restorer, possibly hear it run or visit. The H is not built like a Z. The H came before the highly produced Z.

I own one that is not running properly

I am located in Northeast Ohio just south of Cleveland

Jim

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
Are you trying to run it on kero or gas only? Most won't run good on kero unless you are working them hard. Most just run them on gasoline. What kind of a problem are you having?

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I have one that runs perfect. PM me and I can give you my phone number if you want to talk.

Preston Wells

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Here is my 6H. I do run this engine about 1/2 choked. These are great running engines when you get them dialed in. You can PM with any questions.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
I bought a basket case 4horse kerosene burner that should be a Magneto charge away from running now. I would like to find a crank guard for it.
Recast is fine. If anyone can help I'd sure appreciate it. I'd prefer one with a magneto mount on it.

Jim Gauer

Registered
I run it on gasoline, the carburetor has a starting side to run on gas and a running side that uses kerosene pumped from the fuel tank

The gasoline side of the carb does not work so I run gasoline in what would be the kerosene part of the carburetor.

It runs geat at 350rpm. It misses, runs rough on the 200-250 range

Starts great, accelerates great, runs rough at slow speeds

Tried all types of ignition timing.

I feel it is carb problem. Sunk in mud on farm outside for 50+ years
Carb frozen with water and we welded during restoration.had no pictures of carb or throttle plate. Acts like at low speed fuel is not atomizing properly

Idea are welcome. Know of any H Model 6 hp carbs or H engines for sale

Thanks

Zach Nagel

Registered
The valves should be a snug fit it their guides and the springs in good condition especially the exhaust. If your engine is missing the intake valve cover, be sure to plug the screw holes in the head as 1 or 2 go right into the intake passage and will cause a loss of vacuum. I time the ignition late on a loafing show engine. As far as not running on the gas side, there is a check valve in the bottom of the carb on that side that is usually stuck. Its part # 603h in the pic above the hopper. The butter fly is also pictured, it should have a small notch that is in line with the fuel nozzle that sticks out of the back of the carb.

Attachments

Jim Gauer

Registered
We think it is a 1914
Thanks for picture of carb that is my carb.
I know of no check valve but I will check - carb was welded up
It was damaged badly

How slow does your engine run ?

Thanks for info

Zach Nagel

Registered
My engine will run fairly slow, i'd guess under 200 rpms and runs smooth but it has to have the choke set just right. Also a hot spark. You might try running on a battery and coil and see if that helps. Mine runs better on a battery but I'm working on getting it better on the mag.

Bill Trainor

Registered
My 6hp will run real nice down to about 150 rpm on the battery. It wont run on the mag much below 180 rpm. I also run on gasoline on the kero side. My fuel nozzle was missing when I started, so I had to experiment with different lengths and angles, which both made a difference. Great running engines.