• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Fairbanks Morse W3S

RodneyBates

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
The heavy tan wire is connected to the insulated post, not grounded, however it is negative and grounded post is positive.

---------- Post added at 10:21:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09:32 AM ----------

The heavy tan wire is connected to the insulated post, not grounded, however it is negative. The black wire exits through the hole and is connected to the 115 volt box on the exterior.

I'm thinking Vanman might be right and someone has reversed the polarity. I am tempted to connect 36 volt battery and crank to see if it will repolarize. I just hope the smoke doesn't escape!

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Those diagrams don't show it, but M2 must be grounded in order for the electric start to work...

RodneyBates

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Thank everyone for all their help. I really appreciate having the wiring diagrams! And a special thank you to Power, as I took his idea and tried it. I did use 3-12 volt batteries and cranked it with the plug wires disconnected, then cranked with them connected and she fired right up. I checked the polarity and it is now correct with the positive to the insulated post and negative to ground! I shut it down and reconnected one battery - it clicked but wouldn't turn over, so I then connected two and it fired up. I'll be letting it sit overnite and fire it up again and check polarity again. Thanks again!!:wave:

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
That’s great! It looks like a very original unit too! I wonder if some strategic wiring could make use of the 12v board... if you’re going for originality that is. If you’re using multiple batteries you could rewire the control side for 12v, the start relay should be fine, leave the reverse current relay in place for looks but disconnected and hide a diode under the board. Would look and work as originally equipped.

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2020
Thanks for posting schematic John. I had a busy day, and just now sitting down looking over "stuff". That wiring diagram is the same as I have.
Nice unit there too Rodney, and congrats on running.