• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks Morse Z (I think)

Garak

Registered
Picked this up today.

22" Flywheels, 4 12" diameter piston. If it is a Fairbanks then the serial number (205896) says it's 1916.

It's got a repair to the cylinder head and has a non standard magneto. Can anyone conform the model and HP please.

Skip Landis

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
That looks like a 3 hp "Z" with a factory sparkplug confersion. Not sure about the mag though. skip

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
What's your serial number? Top of the hopper and perhaps end of the crankshaft.
Guys, is that about an '18 or so? Numbers will tell.
:)

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Duey check his top post, I think it's listed. Can anyone make out the last name on the mag tag? Thompson ?

Kirk Taylor

Registered
That looks like a 3 hp "Z" with a factory sparkplug confersion. Not sure about the mag though. skip
I agree that it is a 3hp Fairbanks Morse Z, however I disagree that it is a factory conversion. The spark plug adapter appears to be a farm fix. It looks like the original low tension Sumpter gear has been adapted to the high tension mag.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Duh, thank you. Busy on the brain and stopped in. :)
1916! Cool.

Garak

Registered
Thomson-Bennett
The 'Crow's foot' stamp that can be seen indicates that it was used my the military.

Below is some info on Thomson-Bennett Ltd Birmingham, England I found:

‘904 J. A. Thomson met Peter Bennett, then manager of the Electric Ignition Company of Birmingham.
1907 with Thomson's backing, Bennett set up Thomson-Bennett Ltd to manufacture products similar to those of EIC. Thomson-Bennett began making magnetos for specialized purposes; at that time, the German company Bosch had a virtual monopoly of the car magneto market.
When the first World War broke out Thomson-Bennett's expertise as manufacturers of magnetos was key to development of British supplies essential for mechanized transport and aircraft.
1914 Thomson-Bennett had c.100 employees when it was acquired by Joseph Lucas Ltd, particularly for their magneto expertise.
1920 issued catalogue of magnetos.
Peter Bennett became joint managing director of Lucas.’

Garak

Registered
To bring this back to life it's going to need everything on the working side, carberetta (damaged in a couple of areas) all pushrods (exhaust valve, carb pump lever), gouvoner (exessive wear).

It will also need a new fuel tank and exhaust silencer.

The cylinder head has a patch which looks like it has never leaked since repair so I may get away without replacing it but the cylinder head / cylinder mating surfaces are very badly pitted by rust so a good seal may be difficult.

The crank bearings are OK as is the piston, and I can re-use the valves, valve rocker & HT mag.

Are spares readly available for this engine (US or UK)?

Kanonier74

Registered
Re: Fairbanks Morse Z model B plugocillator

That's a 3hp plugocillator. I have this engine, mine is a 1918. This one was converted to sparkplug high tension magneto. Originally it can with a sumpter number 14 low tension magneto and points igniter.