Fairbanks Morse Z with three needle valve mixer

Larry Evans

Subscriber
I was sent some pictures of a late 1921 Fairbanks Morse 3 hp. Z. The owner is new to old engines and is confused as the mixer on his engine seems to be a little different than the ones normally seen. It has three needle valves. I suspect the third valve is for water injection from the hopper for kerosene running. Probably a tee mounted at the drain port on the head with one leg feeding the third needle valve.

I'm looking for any pictures showing the original plumbing set up for this mixer. I've tried searching here on the Stak with no luck but who knows what I might have missed. This mixer is also different in that there is an elbow on the air intake with a pivoting choke plate.

Kind of a neat cooling system. All I have to go on is the pictures but everything looks like typical FM factory parts.

Thanks for any help,
Larry

Attachments

Larry Evans

Subscriber
Just thought I would try again to see if anyone has a picture of the original plumbing hookup from the water drain to the mixer.

Thanks,
Larry

David M. Lyon

This is the only photo I have of the three needle mixer on a generator engine. It doesn't show much detail of the mixer area, but maybe you can get some help from it. :shrug:

Attachments

Jeff Taylor

You are correct it is for the water injection, and there would have been a second tank in the cast iron sub base for the water. The fuel tank and water tank both went under/inside the sub base.

Larry Evans

Subscriber
You are correct it is for the water injection, and there would have been a second tank in the cast iron sub base for the water. The fuel tank and water tank both went under/inside the sub base.
Jeff, thanks for the clarification on the water source. It makes sense since this is a closed cooling system and you wouldn't want to take water from it.

Larry